This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need help on SMTP over Port 465

Hi,

Configuration:
EMail-Hosting @ ISP, POPcon to get Mails over UTM220 to internal Exchange2013. this way, everything is fine.

With the former ISP we used the UTM smarthost-settings (with authentification) to send the emails to the ISP's smarthost. that was ok.

Now we changed the ISP, this one doesn't have a smart-host-service.
I can use their smtp-server to send email but only over port 465.

So please, where do i have to change things in the UTM-settings, i have bounced emails, 551, 553,  554 errors and realy heavy head  [:(]
Seems, that the recipients mailserver have problem with our spf (i already changed that to our external-ip).

How do I get the SMTP-send-traffic out to a specific adress/port?

Any hints for that? Do you need more input ?

tnx a lot, 
Clyde

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • It sounds like all you need is good full FCrDNS.  For example, one of the Google IPs designated as a sending IP for Gmail is 64.233.168.139.  They had their ISP (themselves in this case) create an rDNS record

139.168.233.64.in-addr.arpa IN PTR oj-in-f139.1e100.net

Then, to be sure thy had Forward Confirmed rDNS, they added a record to their public authoritative name server

oj-in-f139.1e100.net IN A 64.233.168.139

In other words

rDNS record -> FQDN -> IP

With the first record, most of the bounces no longer will occur.  The second will make you compliant for all anti-spam filters.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • It sounds like all you need is good full FCrDNS.  For example, one of the Google IPs designated as a sending IP for Gmail is 64.233.168.139.  They had their ISP (themselves in this case) create an rDNS record

139.168.233.64.in-addr.arpa IN PTR oj-in-f139.1e100.net

Then, to be sure thy had Forward Confirmed rDNS, they added a record to their public authoritative name server

oj-in-f139.1e100.net IN A 64.233.168.139

In other words

rDNS record -> FQDN -> IP

With the first record, most of the bounces no longer will occur.  The second will make you compliant for all anti-spam filters.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for the explanation of the fcrDNS.
    The thing is: when i'm able to send mails to ISP mailserver over 465-SSL then i do not need any other pointers. ISP mailserver has rDNS and everythin else.

Is this transport-route so strange or unused normaly:
     Exch2013 -> UTM220 -> mail.ISP.ch
     and this over Port 465 with SSL-autentication 
     (User/Pass of one of our mailboxes@ISP)??

What i'm not sure of is: how does the UTM handle an Exchange-sent-Email?
    (Exchange with sendconnector to smarthost "firewall")
    I don't have the transparent-mode set, so do I have to give the UTM a Firewall-Roule with the SMTP:25 to the Internet? Sorry, beeing more and more confused.

tnx
    Clyde

• What i'm not sure of is: how does the UTM handle an Exchange-sent-Email?
    (Exchange with sendconnector to smarthost "firewall")
    I don't have the transparent-mode set, so do I have to give the UTM a Firewall-Roule with the SMTP:25 to the Internet? Sorry, beeing more and more confused.

You don't need firewall rule for Exchange->tcp/25, because mail is not being delivered directly by Exchange. 
    UTM works as an SMTP proxy (Smarthost/Relay server) for Exchange server.
  • Hi vilic,

ok for smtp on port 25

but what if i want to send over port 465? Then i need a firewall-roule (internal LAN -> TCP-IP 465 -> Internet), correct?

tnx
    Clyde

• but what if i want to send over port 465? Then i need a firewall-roule (internal LAN -> TCP-IP 465 -> Internet), correct?

No, because UTM itself is not considered as Internal (Network) object. In your example that rule would open tcp/465 for all hosts in LAN network.

To be honest (..[;)]), I am a little confused why are you so insisting on using ISP SMTP as a smarthost ?