This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why do I want Greylisting? Why does the UTM Greylist everything not rejected?

I am fully aware of what Greylisting is, but I am asking myself why would I want to use it and MOST IMPORTANTLY does the Sophos UTM SMTP Proxy use it by default or is it due to something I failed to setup correctly on the UTM or even another problem like Sender Verification failing and triggering Greylisting as a slow alternate method of sender verification??? While a great idea in principle, it caused at least a 7 minute delay in delivery to valid recipients and is not something I think I should have to live with as a default action.

I can bypass Greylisting by unchecking it in the profile since I am using profiles for more granularity. As an alternative, I can add all valid recipients to an exception rule Skipping: Greylisting FOR these recipient addresses. Can someone suggest a better way?

My question is: Is Greylisting everything a default action for all mail handled by the SMTP proxy or is there something that needs to be configured in the UTM to keep it from happening?

Finally, what is the consequence of disabling it?

Any help appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Bruce, same question as vilic - when's the last time you ran a test (I realize that there's no statistic kept concerning the number of greylisted emails that weren't resent).

I think the greylisting triad is sender/sending-IP/recipient.  After a successful delivery, the result is kept in what you have called a whitelist for a week (I think) after the last successful delivery.

I haven't had anyone using greylisting for years since I saw no change in blocking percentages after de-selecting it experimentally in two sites.  Maybe I didn't do a good enough test and Bruce will explain.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • After a successful delivery, the result is kept in what you have called a whitelist for a week (I think) after the last successful delivery.

Bob, I spoke with someone at Astaro / Sophos a few years ago, and they said then that Greylisting's retained memory of previous senders had been enhanced to a year. And though I haven't specifically tested, in my experience, I believe that to be correct.

The only time I hear from a client about delays that I can pin on Greylisting, it's always about the initial receipt of emails from a new sender.  So, in other words, not very frequent at all.

Incidentally, wouldn't the corollary of a Greylist "whitelist" would be to add the sender to an exception list?
  • ...Greylisting's retained memory of previous senders had been enhanced to a year...

From the exim.conf file
    Maintainer: Micha Lenk 

Maybe Micha can clue us in[[:D]]

GREYLIST_RETRY_HOST_CLEANUP = ${lookup pgsql{DELETE FROM greylist_retry_hosts \
                                  WHERE (($tod_epoch - stamp) > (60*60*24*30))}{1}{1}}
    seems like its 30 days

I haven't used greylisting since way back when we were still using spamassassin as our spam engine[[:D]] I mostly rely on country blocking now but that can be difficult to implement in certain environments.
  • ...Greylisting's retained memory of previous senders had been enhanced to a year...

From the exim.conf file
    Maintainer: Micha Lenk 

Maybe Micha can clue us in[[:D]]

GREYLIST_RETRY_HOST_CLEANUP = ${lookup pgsql{DELETE FROM greylist_retry_hosts \
                                  WHERE (($tod_epoch - stamp) > (60*60*24*30))}{1}{1}}
    seems like its 30 days

I haven't used greylisting since way back when we were still using spamassassin as our spam engine[[:D]] I mostly rely on country blocking now but that can be difficult to implement in certain environments.
Children
No Data