This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to... internal mail server

I want to set up an internal mail server behind the ASG

Now I have a shared hosting (external mail server).
ASG is set to POP3 proxy and SMTP tranparent proxy (auhenticated users). 
I know that I need to modify so that all mails sent exclusively via the internal mail server.

Please someone tell me all about it completely. it might be best to be a sticky :-)
 THANKS!!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Kill transparent mode and authenticated relaying.  Include only the internal Host definition in 'Allowed hosts/networks' on the 'Relaying' tab and in the 'Host list' on the 'Routing' tab.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you BAlfson!
    Is that all?
    I will give more information. It will probably be useful if you need something else to do.
    Shared hosting would leave solely because of the hosting Web site. All e-mails would take over and sent to internal mail servers.

On Cpanel I need to put in MX. 0 mydomain.com and 10 my ASG FQDNS? 
    Do I need to configure DNAT or SNAT on ASG? Do I need to create an PF? 
    POP3 proxy ASG (ON or OFF)?

Sorry to ask but I have no experience with the internal mail server,

Thanks! [:)]
  • A simple rule in Astaro is that DNATs come before Proxies and proxies come before manual Firewall rules and Static Routes.  If you make a DNAT for SMTP, you will route traffic around the Astaro SMTP Proxy.  The Proxy has its own PF (Firewall) rules, so no manual one is needed (you could experiment with creating a rule with logging enabled to see if the rule ever is used).

If your primary mail server is behind your Astaro, the MX with the lowest number should be the FQDN of the Astaro.  If you have a backup mail server, that MX record should have a higher number.

The POP3 Proxy only might be needed in your situation for internal users to access other external POP3 services.  You probably don't need it.

If you have external users that need to access your mailserver, you will want to add an Additional Address like "Webmail" on the External interface, create a NAT rule like 'Internet -> {access service} -> External [Webmail] (Address) : DNAT to {internal mail server}' and add a new FQDN "webmail.mydomain.com" in DNS.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA