Help us enhance your Sophos Community experience. Share your thoughts in our Sophos Community survey.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSL POP3 to pop.gmail.com fails

I'm using outlook to pick mail from multiple pop3 accounts, some of them are SSL some just plain unsecure conections. My computer have apropriate exclusions on astare firewall (as I have been told) and all but gmail POP3 works more or less OK. Just GMail check usually fails with general error message 0x80042108 that outlook failed to connect to server. Strange thing is, that usually once or twice per hour it connect fine and download messages, but most of the time it fails. I tried to uninstall antivirus, disabled Vista firewall - no change. Is it some common problem or is there something wrong with my computer?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • There are two ways to use SSL:
    1. Use STARTTLS on port 110
    2. TLS on port 995

Gmail seems to only use port 995. You have to manually allow port 995 in the packet filter rules.
  • Yes, TLS by default using port 995 is giving me trouble. With google its just so unreliable, with other servers using secure POP there are still some timeouts and other problems, but usually retrying to download helps. But gmail is like cursed, just wont work.
    It works just fine from my home, with direct (ok, with local NAT) connection it responds in seconds max. Office with internet behind astaro gateway is something different. It behaves really strange...
  • Does the external ip address in your office have a reserve dns name? Some servers/services tries to resolve your ip and there may be a delay if no reverse name can be found.
  • I will check tomorrow in office, but I tried to set 10min timeout interval in outlook. Still error message comes after cca 20s every time, indipendent on timeout setting. It seems to me like some problem with astaro firewall more than any other problem. Because I have ADSL modem home and its IT doesnt have any DNS record and mail is downloaded without problems...
  • Hi All, 
    Has there been any new news or progress on this matter? 
    I am having exactly the same problem with gmail pop3 mail through ASG 7.305 - all smtp is working (well almost all  - i am having one 2 strange problems with smtp re smtp error 554 and BRL aparently denying my smtp mail) 
    Basically i can get email by not receive any email via gmail pop3 using ASG pop3 proxy. 

Currently i have:
    -disabled ASG pop3 proxy
    -entered port 995 into the packetfilet as required by gmail for pop3
    -setup outlook clients to use pop.gmail.com directly as pop3 entry in the client
    -setup my email clients to use ASG as smtp IP address

With my current setup i think all incoming email bypass the AV and SPAM filtering on ASG so would obviously like to improve that. 

Can you please help. 

MAny thanks in advance. 
    kobie
  • No change here, still receive mails by random say once per hour, otherwise I get error in outlook.

Your solution is working seamlesly? By disabling pop3 proxy you can avoid outlook error?
  • Hi Wlkus, 
    Sorry i did not see your post until now. 

Yes, it works perfectly - once you defined a smarthost (Mail Security > SMTP > Advanced). You can use any other SMTP server in there. 

Try and not use gmail smtp server - i had a lot of problems since some of their IPs are RBL listed. 

Hope this help. 

All the very best,
    kobie
  • I never used Google SMTP as it is quite slow, my problem is with pop3 transfers and thats what I asked around [:)]
  • I am using gmail's smtp server and the following works for me very reliably: 

- i disabled ASG pop3 proxy server (all my traffic goes through ASG) 
    - i manually created packet filer rules to allow port 995 (gmail ssl pop)
    - in whatever email client you enter the actual gmail pop3 server info e.g. username@gmail.com and password. For smtp server info i use ASG IP. 

hope this helps. 
    k