This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

smarthost by domain

Hi guys.

is it possible to route outgoing SMTP traffic over multiple smart hosts, filtered by dest. domain?

like this:

recipient is XXX@domain1.com -> smarthost 1

recipient is XXX@domain2.net -> smarthost 2

if it is easier, the following scheme can also be used:

sender is *@domain1.com -> smarthost 1

sender is *@domain2.com -> smarthost 2

thx

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Yes,

create a SMTP-Profile for special DST-Domain(s) and you can configure the SmartHost within (Mail-)Routing.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hey and Thanks for reaching out to Sophos community.

As far as I know, This won't be possible on UTM. Even with Profile mode for different domains, Smart host settings are common for all.

There's an option to add 'availability zone'  host type but that won't forward mails from specific domains to specific smart hosts.

• It works. (For Years)

Every profile can have its own Routing-Host aka SmartHost...

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner

• This is not possible. You are talking about internal routing. 

But OP wants to do this for external recipient orientated. 

So you want to send Sophos.com a Email, it should go to Smarthost1. If you send a Email to Sophos.de, it should go to Smarthost 2. 

Correct me, if i am wrong, but UTM uses profiles based on the own domain. So you can define: customer1.com use Smarthost1 and customer2.com uses smarthost2 - UTM will send all mails coming from customer1.com to smarthost1 and not based on the recipient. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Thats's exactly what I'm looking for..

Sooo.. at the moment I don't see any solution

• I would suggest you simple try it.
    Within SMTP-Profiles you can use external domains too, and you can configure a host for mail routing.
    There we are missing some real "smart-host"-features ... like authentication, for example.  
    But possible it is enough for your requirements.
    It works for me...

Dirk

• I think it will wortk, but I need authentification.

maybe I get an exception for my external IP..

• Hallo and welcome to the UTM Community!

When I saw your question just now, I initially had the same idea as Dirk, but Toni and Devesh usually are 100% right.  Please share your success with Dirk's trick and tell us of any special issues the next person might want to know about.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA