This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

*UNOFFICIAL* Sophos UTM 220 rev 5 - Hardware upgrade list (CPU and RAM)

Sophos UTM 220 rev 5 *UNOFFICAL* Hardware Upgrade Checklist

Not very much information is available on these hardware appliances. For the longest time searching, all I personally could find was information relating to RAM (which at the time was 4GB). So I figured I would start the trek of finding out what this appliance is capable of (Don't ask, I've always done this for almost every piece of equipment I have owned, regardless of practicality). A forethought though. Your appliance MUST BE in the STOCK configuration in order to install UTM 9.X. Once the installation is complete however, you are able to swap components out without issue. All testing so far has been done with the UTM 9.5 installation.

So lets begin. Stock 2x1GB sticks of DDR3 RAM and a "wonderful" LGA775 Celeron E1500 @ 2.2GHz from the Conroe family

CPU

Core 2 Duo SLA94 E4600 2.4GHz (Conroe)  -  BIOS Boot/UTM Boot

Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz (Wolfdale) - NO BIOS Boot/No UTM Boot

RAM

Kingston Hyper X Blu. (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 (KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX)  -  BIOS Boot/UTM Boot - 8GB system detected @ 800MHz (using C2D E4600)

I will be expanding this list at a later point as I test out different CPUs and RAM. From initial testing it appears as though these mainboards may only accept Conroe based 775 chips. Also I would like to point out, that with the CPU upgrade the appliance now handles more than the 4GB that was thought previously. I have only tested up to 8GB RAM as I do not have any 8GB sticks i can throw at it. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children