This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Faulty build - what to do?

Hello,

So I managed to do a completely faulty build.

I based the build on the ASUS H110T, since I apparently didn't know one thing: i219v is not compatible and not recognized by the Sophos UTM.

Not enough research and no posts here, that's what I get.

Other hardware is:

i3-6320

8GB DDR4 RAM

Transcend M.2 SATA 32GB

So, what are my options? Or am I looking at €500 down the drain, if I cannot return the hardware?

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

you will need to install dual NIC in the expansion slot and use a normal sata drive also make it bigger than 32gb recommend at least 64gb.

Ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Unfortunately, there is no expansion slot (no PCIE slot). Besides, the chosen case, Silverstone PT13, is thin, and that was initially an intention - falsely.

Anything else I can do with LVDS or M.2, if I would get another, bigger case?

I have a spare SATA SSD with 128GB laying around, so that is no problem. I actually only wanted M.2 for the small case... returning it unpacked, Amazon won't like it.

Right now, I think the options are to either return everything or at least a big portion (case, mobo, ram, possibly drive, keep CPU), or see if I can come by with a minimal budget upgrade.

Btw. how is the CPU? Enough for up to 100MBit with IPS and VPN? It's a normal household with some 15 IPs or so, 2-3 computers, couple of phones, ipads, some multimedia devices (TV, Receiver etc.). I don't really want to be limited by the CPU... maybe I don't understand how IPS is working, so help me here please.

• replace the small 32GB with your 128GB SSD.

then install vmware ESXi 6.0 or 6.5 (its free).. it should recognize all your NICs i hope..

then install a virtual UTM.. 

its just a workaround..

CPU is fine for all you need...

greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• Already thought about the virtualization.

Isn't that a loss of lots of performance?

I currently have Sophos in the VM, and I have some problems.

I don't know if it's due to VM, but when on VPN, I have a feeling that my connection is terribly slow. Never checked how the CPU in the Sophos Console shows though... any way to test if the VM is the limit?

EDIT:

If I was to get a dedicated hardware that works, would this be correct:

CHIEFTEC FLYER SERIES FI-03B

ASUS H110I-Plus

Intel I350-T2 retail, 2x 1000Base-T, PCIe 2.0 x4 (I350T2)

8GB DDR4 2133Mhz

The NIC is about €100. The case supports one expansion card.

• Hi,

if you are having issues with performance with the UTM in a VM check your memory settings, you should be using a fixed value, not dynamic.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• Hi,

if you are having issues with performance with the UTM in a VM check your memory settings, you should be using a fixed value, not dynamic.

ian

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

Children
  • OK, will do, forgot to turn the main computer on (where VM is), but will check when I get to it. I do think however that I gave it 8GB, or at least 4GB, fixed.

What should I do to reliably test the performance in the VM?

And is there a performance loss if using VM?