This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New small passiv Home Build UTM QOTOM-Q190G4

Hi guys,

I want to migrate my virtuell UTM to a small, passiv (needs to be completely silent) hardware device.

I did some research and found this little barebone device which looks really nice to me and is often used by others with pfsense:

QOTOM-Q190G4 S02

Pros:

- 4 Intel NICs
- 10 Watt
- 4-8GB RAM
- The S02 model supports 2,5 SATA SSD (S01 only mSATA)
- quad core with 2 GHz
- VGA and 2 USB (nice for installation)

Cons:

- Intel Celeron Processor J1900 does not support AES (don't know how this will affect vpn and https scanning performance?)
- No ECC RAM

Is this box enough for an VDSL50 uplink for around 10 devices with Firewall, IPS, Web Filtering, Network Visibility, SMTP and POP3 Proxy, WLAN, Endpoint, Remote Accces and WAF enabled? (Mail Protection and WAF will most likely not be needed in the near future)

So what do you guys think about it? Will UTM run smoothly on it? Or do you have any other devices which will saturate my requirements? Suggestions highly welcome :)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I'm pretty sure the system will struggle on IPS alone with let alone all the other services enabled. The Celeron is not fast enough, you should best arrange for a high MHz i3 processor. I don't know what this processor will do to your VPN-connections.

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Thanks for your reply, but I think I disagree on that, because from what I found:

An SG 125 Appliance uses an Intel Atom C2358 processor with 1,7 GHz dualcore.
    This appliance ist listed in the sizing guide with all services enabled for 25 users.

My barebone box uses an 2 GHz (- 2,5GHz on Boost) quad core processor and I do have less users.

If you look up some benchmark of those two processors, the J1900 has double the performance of the C2358.

• Thanks for your reply, but I think I disagree on that, because from what I found:

An SG 125 Appliance uses an Intel Atom C2358 processor with 1,7 GHz dualcore.
    This appliance ist listed in the sizing guide with all services enabled for 25 users.

My barebone box uses an 2 GHz (- 2,5GHz on Boost) quad core processor and I do have less users.

If you look up some benchmark of those two processors, the J1900 has double the performance of the C2358.

Children
No Data