This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DHCP issues on External Interface with ISP

I have been using UTM for many years now... 6+?  When I first started, there were issues with certain Intel nics when used with DHCP and Cable Modems.

Lately, I have been having problems again.  I have had MANY calls with my ISP, I even went ahead and bought new hardware for my UTM.  Same problem.  I rarely get an IP address from my ISP and when I do, the external interface will only stay "up" for a brief period - and then drop again.

I plugged my "Gateway desktop" directly into my Cable Modem and it ran without an issue for 3 days.  Then I added an ASUS RT-N66 in as a "router".  That ran fine for a week - with A LOT of traffic going through it. 

I add the UTM and BAM!  I am back down again.

My question is - WHERE do I begin to troubleshoot this?  confd logs?  TCPDUMP?  My UTM seems happy to get a DCHP address from my ASUS if I test it that way...  I don't want to bail on Sophos, but I don't know what else to do.  Many years ago, I put an old router between my Cable Modem and my Sophos machine.  I really don't want to do that again.

UTM 9.355-1       

External NIC is an Intel Gigabit PCIe   EXPI9301CT

Quad core i3 with 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD

Thoughts?  Advice, Similar issues?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Did you figure out any resolution to this issue?  We're seeing much the same behavior on an Arris with Comcast-provided DHCP.

• Sorry - I have not tested those settings yet.  I am running in a "double nat" mode.  My cable modem gets its DHCP address from Comcast and serves up a DHCP address to my external interface on my UTM.  The UTM serves DHCP to my internal network. 

Tough to take down the home network when 2 college students are trying to do their school work.

• yeah, definitely keep the troops at home happy first...

One other things that's been discussed regarding Arris is to use a cheap 5-port gigabit switch between the modem and the SG.  I'm going to try that if I have another failure, but might be worth a try.

• yeah, definitely keep the troops at home happy first...

One other things that's been discussed regarding Arris is to use a cheap 5-port gigabit switch between the modem and the SG.  I'm going to try that if I have another failure, but might be worth a try.

Children
No Data