This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

NIC Interfaces not seen on wizard

Hello.

I took the plunge today to try and get Sophos UTM up and running. However I have come unstuck pretty quickly.

The hardware is a Dell optiplex with addition nic card installed. The install has gone fine and I can get in and start setting up via the wizard. 

However when it comes to the internet side on the wizard when I click the interface pop up, it does nothing, consequently the only button I can click is to set it up later.

Now back in the main gui I add a new interface, but I am not sure what to do here. I have virgin media as a provider and have the router in modem only mode which its been for years. I therefore set the new interface up as an ethernet and that the IP will be dynamic.

On the main page it shows both the wan and lan side as up, but I have no internet. After some more head scratching I realised to set a default gateway, I guessed on lan side which I did, but still no internet.

I tried a reset and running the wizard again, but again no interfaces are shown for the initial set up, but show up fine once into the main gui, I can only assume that if they showed at the wizard point, it would make some settings to get it all going.

So anyhow, any advice here? I am trying to come from PFSense which frankly was far easier. i.e. I plugged my modem into one of the nics and boom I had internet.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Also this still seems the wrong way round, do you agree that on every other router and router software the default gateway is the IP address of the router, not the IP address of the ISP?
  • The default gateway is going to be different for individual systems depending on what they connect to. What you are setting on the UTM is the dg for traffic passing through the UTM. When you check the box for dg in the UTM, it isn't setting the IP for the WAN address of the UTM itself, it is setting the IP of the next hop upstream (ISP router), provided by ISP DHCP. For your LAN clients, the IP of the LAN interface on the UTM they connect to would be their default gateway.

I personally don't find it confusing, but at the same time, I come from the target market for UTM, business use IT professionals.

...still have a v5 install disk in a box somewhere.

http://xkcd.com
    http://www.tedgoff.com/mb
    http://www.projectcartoon.com/cartoon/1
  • I want to join this conversation because I clearly am missing some very basic knowledge as it seem.

Why do I have to setup the MASQ if I use a cable-modem?

eth0 is my NIC for LAN.

eth1 is my NIC for WAN.

Both have a unique vSwitch under ESXi vSwitch0 for LAN -> nic0 and vSwitch1 for WAN -> nic1.

Now when I installed the UTM I told the system to use eth0 to connect to the Sophos UTM later on. After installation I entered the webUI of my Sophos and started the wizard. Just as the TE stated I did not see any NICs to set up as ethernet-connection for my WAN. So I had to skip that part and do everything by hand within the SophosUI.

Everything seemed to be correct but still I had issues. Luckily I found this thread and read what you wrote, Scott_Klassen. So I added a MASQ internal network -> external network. Et voila everything runs like a charm.

But damn, why do I need to set that MASQ up? I though it would work this way: define LAN, define WAN and all the requests that will be send to the LAN of the Sophos will go automatically to WAN. My MacBook (client) uses the Sophos as DNS and Router (which is correct) within the Sophos I set up the DNS to google 8.8.8.8, for testing I added a rule in the FW "internal network" "any" to "any". This alone didn't do the trick. I switched on the "WebFiltering"-option and any without MASQ this lead to the situation that for some period of time I had an internet-connection with my MacBook (client) but just not for long. Turn off the WebFiltering lead to total connection break up regarding the WAN.

I would be more than thankful if somebody could explain to me why I have to set up the MASQ.

Of course my WAN-Interface is set up like this "IPv4 default GW" "Dynamic IP".

• Hi, John, and welcome to the UTM Community!

I'm not sure what your question is.  Does googling "IP masquerade" answer it?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Yes, that did the trick - thank you Bob! In the end it is very logical but I just didn't know that. Thought its going to work all by its own, like a "simple" router. Does a router for example "Airport Extreme" from Apple also use MASQ? Cheers Pat
  • Yes.  Out of the box, every consumer router will use IP Masquerading.