This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Request for help by Newbie: Best way to configure DNS

I'm new to Sophos Home UTM, learning quickly.  Installed 9.3 on an i5 mini-itx pc, firewall is up and running.  This is my first post.  I've read through all the posts I can find on DNS setup, but could not find a definitive answer.  Here is my question:

What is the best way to set up DNS?  

My preferred DNS is OpenDNS (I use OpenDNS Umbrella Prosumer).  I also (believe I) need to use Google DNS at times for a Roku and possibly an Amazon Echo.

I have a 6 port device with all 5 LAN ports bridged for now.  I have set up one DHCP server on that bridge (Bridge0), and for that DHCP Server, I specified the two OpenDNS servers.  This is in Network Services--DHCP--Bridge0

I also added Google DNS and OpenDNS in Network Services--DNS--DNS Forwarders, and checked "Use Forwarders Assigned by ISP".  I also added Google DNS and OpenDNS to Network Services--Request Routing.

Is this set up good, or will it likely prove problematic?  What do you suggest, and why? 

Thank you very much in advance

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

I would normally put the OpenDNS servers as forwarders in the DNS server, and then let the DHCP server give out the UTM’s IP as DNS server.  This creates a local DNS cache on your UTM, and means the internal clients on your UTM won’t need to contact external DNS servers.

Is there any reason you use other DNS servers for specific devices?

Thanks.
    Andrew.
  • Hi,

I would normally put the OpenDNS servers as forwarders in the DNS server, and then let the DHCP server give out the UTM’s IP as DNS server.  This creates a local DNS cache on your UTM, and means the internal clients on your UTM won’t need to contact external DNS servers.

Is there any reason you use other DNS servers for specific devices?

Thanks.
    Andrew.
Children
No Data