This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[9.312] Intel 82572EI e1000e Hardware Unit Hang

Hi,

I have rebuilt one of my firewalls, using a Z87 motherboard and an Intel 82572EI PCIe NIC as eth1/WAN.

I'm now getting a LOT of e1000e "eth1: Detected Hardware Unit Hang" messages, and the firewall stops responding on ALL interfaces including LAN.

I notice the UTM says it is disabling TSO, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

If I run
ethtool -K eth1 tso off gso off  gro off
it gets MUCH better (maybe solved).

Where should I add this to init or udev?

lspci:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 06)

Thanks,
Barry

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I think any 8257x chpset is unable to be used in Linux due to a combination of bad hardware design and bad drivers.  Intel has shown no desire to fix this despite multiple bug reports.  Use the 210 series of chipsets instead or switch to the broadcom netextreme II cards too.  Another workaround is to instlal hyper-v onto the hardware and then run the UTM on that.  You then get the windows drivers for the hardware and the UTM only sees compatible nics that work well.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I think any 8257x chpset is unable to be used in Linux due to a combination of bad hardware design and bad drivers.  Intel has shown no desire to fix this despite multiple bug reports.  Use the 210 series of chipsets instead or switch to the broadcom netextreme II cards too.  Another workaround is to instlal hyper-v onto the hardware and then run the UTM on that.  You then get the windows drivers for the hardware and the UTM only sees compatible nics that work well.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children
No Data