This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Options for Exceeding Home License IP Limit

Hey Folks,

I'm likely not the first and certainly not the last Home User to run into this situation, however, I've finally reached the Soft Limit IP Cap (50) for a Home License, mostly thanks to ESXi VM's, WiFi Lighting and AirPlay Devices. Unfortunately, I'll be crossing the Hard Limit IP Cap soon and I'm wondering what my wallet friendly options are moving forward; emphasis on the wallet friendly. I also cannot express enough how much I would like to avoid moving to any other Firewall. 

Ideally, it would be wonderful to pay/donate a reasonable amount toward a Power User License, however, that doesn't seem to be offered.

Naturally, it would be ideal not to have any limitations, however, with a reasonable mindset, my requirements are Network Protection, Web Protection (Web Filtering and Application Control), Wireless Protection and I also leverage High Availability since it's a VM, Up2Date friendly and why not. With regards to Remote Access, I *could* get by with just L2TP over IPSec, however, I do enjoy being able to use OpenVPN and HTML5 VPN when in Network Environments that do not block it.

Thanks in advance for the advice and direction. I'll cross my fingers for good news.

Cheers,
Kyle

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I decided to figure out exactly how IP were added to the list of active IP addresses in the UTM with a paid per device license or home license.  The reason for the effort was because no one seem to know exactly how this worked. I had questions from a few of my clients who were interested in this topic, so they would know how to buy the right number of devices for their software based UTM. Several of these clients also had a brisk guest wifi network presence and also wanted to know how to minimize the impact of that network on the license count.  I wrote up the  findings and posted it on my website for my future reference as well as for the good of the Sophos community: Sophos UTM Home / Software Licensed IP Count Explained
  • A few days ago, I received an email from UTM saying that the 90% threshold had been crossed. We had some guests over who have our wifi password, but even with them over, I can't figure out how UTM came up with such a high count. I ran the cc commands and I don't recognize quite a few of the addresses. They aren't showing up on the "attached devices" page on my netgear wifi router, which is configured as an AP. Also, strangely, the cc command doesn't show any ipv6 devices, even though ipv6 is enabled. Considering that licensing is an important issue, I find it surprising that there isn't a way to display "attached devices" from webadmin, like my inexpensive consumer-grade wifi router does.
  • A few days ago, I received an email from UTM saying that the 90% threshold had been crossed. We had some guests over who have our wifi password, but even with them over, I can't figure out how UTM came up with such a high count. I ran the cc commands and I don't recognize quite a few of the addresses. They aren't showing up on the "attached devices" page on my netgear wifi router, which is configured as an AP. Also, strangely, the cc command doesn't show any ipv6 devices, even though ipv6 is enabled. Considering that licensing is an important issue, I find it surprising that there isn't a way to display "attached devices" from webadmin, like my inexpensive consumer-grade wifi router does.
Children
No Data