This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Options for Exceeding Home License IP Limit

Hey Folks,

I'm likely not the first and certainly not the last Home User to run into this situation, however, I've finally reached the Soft Limit IP Cap (50) for a Home License, mostly thanks to ESXi VM's, WiFi Lighting and AirPlay Devices. Unfortunately, I'll be crossing the Hard Limit IP Cap soon and I'm wondering what my wallet friendly options are moving forward; emphasis on the wallet friendly. I also cannot express enough how much I would like to avoid moving to any other Firewall. 

Ideally, it would be wonderful to pay/donate a reasonable amount toward a Power User License, however, that doesn't seem to be offered.

Naturally, it would be ideal not to have any limitations, however, with a reasonable mindset, my requirements are Network Protection, Web Protection (Web Filtering and Application Control), Wireless Protection and I also leverage High Availability since it's a VM, Up2Date friendly and why not. With regards to Remote Access, I *could* get by with just L2TP over IPSec, however, I do enjoy being able to use OpenVPN and HTML5 VPN when in Network Environments that do not block it.

Thanks in advance for the advice and direction. I'll cross my fingers for good news.

Cheers,
Kyle

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Sounds like it is time for a serious evaluation of your network and/or needs.

Make sure that your devices are not using both IPv6 and IPv4, as that will count against you as two IP addresses, when you only need one.

How many VMs do you really need at home?  If you are doing some kind of hosting, there are ways to do that without needing a VM for each host.  

Also check your leases on your DHCP, that can also mess you up in terms of the 50 limit, compared to your actual devices.  The lease times can mess you up and take you to the cap very quickly.  There are a lot of posts about that here that you can easily find to clean that up.

There is no 'wallet friendly' solution unfortunately when it comes to Sophos and this product line.  It is not cheap.  However, for the 'average home user', the license that Sophos has been very generous to provide for free should not have any issue with cap limitations.

I realize that some of us are not 'average' with devices and IT solutions in our home, but at that point, you have to bite the bullet and either pay for what you have chosen to exceed, or evaluate what you can live without, or design your usage to better fit the license.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Sounds like it is time for a serious evaluation of your network and/or needs.

Make sure that your devices are not using both IPv6 and IPv4, as that will count against you as two IP addresses, when you only need one.

How many VMs do you really need at home?  If you are doing some kind of hosting, there are ways to do that without needing a VM for each host.  

Also check your leases on your DHCP, that can also mess you up in terms of the 50 limit, compared to your actual devices.  The lease times can mess you up and take you to the cap very quickly.  There are a lot of posts about that here that you can easily find to clean that up.

There is no 'wallet friendly' solution unfortunately when it comes to Sophos and this product line.  It is not cheap.  However, for the 'average home user', the license that Sophos has been very generous to provide for free should not have any issue with cap limitations.

I realize that some of us are not 'average' with devices and IT solutions in our home, but at that point, you have to bite the bullet and either pay for what you have chosen to exceed, or evaluate what you can live without, or design your usage to better fit the license.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

Children
  • Thank you for your response, Amodin, I appreciate the time you carved out for me.

IPV6 is off. 
    Regarding DCHP: 

• All Internal Hosts are statically mapped outside of the DHCP Range.
    • I've cross-checked the IP's listed in the Licensing Scope with my necessary hosts and all check out. 
    • Guests are on a Separate Zone (AP50) and have their own DHCP Server, and that is limited to a small DHCP Range behind a Hotspot (User) to limit stragglers.

Sounds like it is time for a serious evaluation of your network and/or needs.
    How many VMs do you really need at home? If you are doing some kind of hosting, there are ways to do that without needing a VM for each host. 

I knew this topic was going to crop up, albeit, not immediately, however, I believe this is a digression. With zero disrespect, let's assume for the moment that I am a very capable Software Engineer and that I've trimmed the fat with respect to VM's. Even with Laptops, I've mapped both Wired and Wireless MAC Addresses to the same IP, as both would never be active at the same time.

I agree that Sophos and Astaro before them are incredibly generous by allowing a Home User the ability to leverage an Enterprise Product. I remember, as I'm sure you may, back when 10 IP's was the limit, so 50 (55) is quite a bump. That being said, the times, they are a-changin' and even Toasters and Crockpots have WiFi, let alone iDevices, Laptops, and TV's, or in my case, 14 LIFX WiFI LED Bulbs that all require an IP Address even after they create an Internal Mesh Network [8-)]

In addition to that, the DIRECTV Genie Wireless Mini's, even though they have their own AC Internal Network, still utilize an IP on the Internal Network, which is asinine as they use zero traffic. It would be amazing if I could do something to block this from being counted as it shouldn't (nor do they) ever access the External Network. Is this possible? It would definitely help trim additional Network fat.

I understand this is the wrong forum (literally and metaphorically) for suggestions, however, as a Power User and an Engineer myself, I would happily pay a reasonable rate for the Sophos UTM Software. Aside from unethical businesses, what harm is there steering the Astaro Home User Community away from SoHo Router's and making a few coin in the process. At least that's my two cents.

Until then, here's to hoping Sophos considers another IP Bump for individuals like myself.

Cheers,
    Kyle