This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to configure the external (WAN) interface

I have just installed the Home Edition of the Sophos UTM in the attached Lab setup. The internal (LAN) interface runs just fine (Client X can log into the File Server and into the WebAdmin of Sophos) but the external (WAN) interface is down. Any advice on how to configure the latter interface? This is for a learning experience, so I would appreciate the most straightforward way of making it to work [:)]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Here are my thoughts:

* Does the WAN external interface have an IP address (not 0.0.0.0)? If not, then check whether the interface is properly configured in Interfaces, Interfaces and Routing, Edit button for External (WAN). 
    --> Is it enabled (green = On)
    --> Is Dynamic IP checked? 
    --> Is IPv4 Default GW checked? 
    --> Is the correct hardware port selected?

* Try using Support, Tools, Ping Check to see if you can ping 8.8.8.8 (Googled DNS, as an example) over the External (WAN) interface.

* Go to Network Protection, NAT, Masquerading Tab. Is there a masquerading rule for Internal (Network) to External (WAN)? If not create one:
    Network: Internal (Network)
    Position: Top (or "1")
    Interface: External (WAN)
    Use address: >

It appears that your configuration will be double-NAT'ed. I make that assumption because:
    * You are connecting to the Internet using the WiFi on your DSL modem (which is probably a modem/router). 
    * You mentioned that the DSL modem is handling PPPoE on the Internet (phone) side, and Ethernet on the private side. 

I assume that the DSL modem has a DHCP server that gives private (non-routable) addresses, probably in the 192.168.x.x range.

I also note that the WiFi connection will bypass your Sophos UTM, once you get the UTM working.

I hope this helps!
  • Here are my thoughts:

* Does the WAN external interface have an IP address (not 0.0.0.0)? If not, then check whether the interface is properly configured in Interfaces, Interfaces and Routing, Edit button for External (WAN). 
    --> Is it enabled (green = On)
    --> Is Dynamic IP checked? 
    --> Is IPv4 Default GW checked? 
    --> Is the correct hardware port selected?

* Try using Support, Tools, Ping Check to see if you can ping 8.8.8.8 (Googled DNS, as an example) over the External (WAN) interface.

* Go to Network Protection, NAT, Masquerading Tab. Is there a masquerading rule for Internal (Network) to External (WAN)? If not create one:
    Network: Internal (Network)
    Position: Top (or "1")
    Interface: External (WAN)
    Use address: >

It appears that your configuration will be double-NAT'ed. I make that assumption because:
    * You are connecting to the Internet using the WiFi on your DSL modem (which is probably a modem/router). 
    * You mentioned that the DSL modem is handling PPPoE on the Internet (phone) side, and Ethernet on the private side. 

I assume that the DSL modem has a DHCP server that gives private (non-routable) addresses, probably in the 192.168.x.x range.

I also note that the WiFi connection will bypass your Sophos UTM, once you get the UTM working.

I hope this helps!
Children
No Data