This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to configure the external (WAN) interface

I have just installed the Home Edition of the Sophos UTM in the attached Lab setup. The internal (LAN) interface runs just fine (Client X can log into the File Server and into the WebAdmin of Sophos) but the external (WAN) interface is down. Any advice on how to configure the latter interface? This is for a learning experience, so I would appreciate the most straightforward way of making it to work [:)]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Thanks for the encouragement, Andrew! So, I tried again, this time with the manual in hand and a pen for jotting down notes, and it works, at least I can login into the WebAdmin and what this noob can see does make sense (the WAN interface is UP too) [:)]

But ... I can't access the WAN (not even Google) [:S]

In the basic firewall settings I did allow the web (http and htttps) and in the basic configuration process, I followed the defaults, recommended settings, or otherwise made the most sensible/simple choices.

Any idea what is going on?

Edit: I am typing this with a wireless device (the DSL box has a wireless access point), see the network diagram attached to my original post. Moreover, I have to take the Sophos UTM box out of the network altogether or else the wireless devices can't access the WAN although they are not firewalled by the Sophos UTM. Perhaps this additional info helps with locating the issue.
  • Thanks for the encouragement, Andrew! So, I tried again, this time with the manual in hand and a pen for jotting down notes, and it works, at least I can login into the WebAdmin and what this noob can see does make sense (the WAN interface is UP too) [:)]

But ... I can't access the WAN (not even Google) [:S]

In the basic firewall settings I did allow the web (http and htttps) and in the basic configuration process, I followed the defaults, recommended settings, or otherwise made the most sensible/simple choices.

Any idea what is going on?

Edit: I am typing this with a wireless device (the DSL box has a wireless access point), see the network diagram attached to my original post. Moreover, I have to take the Sophos UTM box out of the network altogether or else the wireless devices can't access the WAN although they are not firewalled by the Sophos UTM. Perhaps this additional info helps with locating the issue.
Children
No Data