This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM reporting Exceeding licensing usage, but I don't have more than 50 IPs!

Hello,

This past days I've received numerous emails telling me that I'm exceeding the allowed number of IPs in my installation.

My network is using addresses from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.7.255, but that's just to have the servers, clients and other equipment segmented. My DHCP server only assigns addresses from 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.6.255. I have checked the server and it has maybe 20 IPs assigned. All of them on the 192.168.2.x range (which is what is expected).

But checking the list of assigned IPs on Sophos, it shows a lot of, for instance, 192.168.1.x addresses. I don't have *any* machine using that range in my network. It also shows some addresses in the 192.168.7.x range that doesn't exist (I can't do ping to any of those addresses).

I have already cleaned the list of active IPs, first thing I did on the morning, andjust 5 minutes ago I received another email, and the list shows again what, as far as I can see, are non-existent IPs on my installation.

What can be happening? I'm sure there are no users accessing, for instance, my WiFi, but just to be sure, I have already changed the password. Today it's been actually very few users connected, counting VMs and so on, maybe 10 different IPs.

Thanks for your help

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Scott,

I don't have anything WiFi-related enabled in UTM, as far as I can see. The Airport Extreme acts as a bridge, and it's connected to one of the ports on the Switch, where the UTM is also connected. The validation of the WiFi password all happens on the Airport Extreme, as far as I understand, so even if there were cases where users tried to connect but failed, it shouldn't have reached the UTM at all? The DHCP is another machine, a Windows 2012 R2 server. The AirPort doesn't assign addresses nor has DHCP enabled. I don't have the "guest network" enabled, and there are any other access point connected in the network.

I have UTM version 9.310-11.

The IPs that are "extra", they don't show in any of the reports of usage. There I can only see the real/valid IPs, as expected.

I would understand if maybe some users got creative and changed manually the IPs to some of the "invalid" ones, but that would explain maybe 1 or 2... not the 30 or so that are shown in the active ips list.

About the MAC_Find: my question was more how to see the MAC address of those IPs (that I can't ping nor see anywhere in my network), and afterwards then I could try looking up some info on the MAC address themselves. The problem is that I don't know how to see those address in the UTM logs/info (I can't find the IP addresses on the logs, either).

Thanks for your help.
  • Hello Scott,

I don't have anything WiFi-related enabled in UTM, as far as I can see. The Airport Extreme acts as a bridge, and it's connected to one of the ports on the Switch, where the UTM is also connected. The validation of the WiFi password all happens on the Airport Extreme, as far as I understand, so even if there were cases where users tried to connect but failed, it shouldn't have reached the UTM at all? The DHCP is another machine, a Windows 2012 R2 server. The AirPort doesn't assign addresses nor has DHCP enabled. I don't have the "guest network" enabled, and there are any other access point connected in the network.

I have UTM version 9.310-11.

The IPs that are "extra", they don't show in any of the reports of usage. There I can only see the real/valid IPs, as expected.

I would understand if maybe some users got creative and changed manually the IPs to some of the "invalid" ones, but that would explain maybe 1 or 2... not the 30 or so that are shown in the active ips list.

About the MAC_Find: my question was more how to see the MAC address of those IPs (that I can't ping nor see anywhere in my network), and afterwards then I could try looking up some info on the MAC address themselves. The problem is that I don't know how to see those address in the UTM logs/info (I can't find the IP addresses on the logs, either).

Thanks for your help.
Children
No Data