This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home - Exceeded licensing - losing my mind...

Yet another thread on the apparent (from my searches) infamous 50 IP limit for home users.  I don't get it, and I'm hoping someone can provide some info.

I have about 24 devices that are network capable in my home (iphones, laptops (win and mac), windows media pc with extenders, 2 cameras, etc.  
Installed Home UTM on a 2 NIC machine about 4 days ago and went through the setup.  I already had an existing wireless router.  I originally set it up so that I had the cable modem to the UTM to the wireless router in AP mode (with DNS and DHCP set by the UTM).  Soon received an email from UTM stating I was using 47 out of my 50 IPs.  I thought, after searching through these forums, "ok, perhaps.  Perhaps it is an issue with IPv4 on some of my windows boxes."  So, I reset the count using the cc commands and went and disabled IPv4 on my windows machines (and set IPv6 to local link only on my Macs - I assume that disables it?).  I rebooted the UTM and noticed that the licensing section was blank.  I assume that means I am back to 0.  About 12 hours later, I get an email from UTM stating I am now using 57 IPs.  More searching on here and remove the gateway from my printer.  Reset using cc commands, reboot.  About 12 hours later, 60 IPs used.  Go back and reconfigure my wireless access point to be in normal mode (non-AP mode) and setup a new subnet on it and have it be the DHCP and DNS server for most of my devices (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of them).  Disable DHCP on UTM, disable DNS and NTP on UTM.  Knowing now that I am double NATd with many of my devices, I figured surely, I should be ok.  Go through cc commands, reboot, and this morning I'm greeted with a 66 IPs used message.

Funny (annoying) thing is that there are at least 3 or 4 of my devices that I know haven't even been powered on since I GOT the UTM in the first place (even though I've included them in my original device count above).  So, short of giving up on Sophos Home, what can I do?

I've removed devices from using DNS and DHCP.  I've removed default gateways from my printer (others need internet access), I've moved a good number of my devices behind a router so the UTM should only see the IP of the router, and I've disabled IPv6 (and haven't powered on some devices anyway).

I went through my list of devices and even if I assumed all devices had 2 IPs, I still can't come up with 66 IPs being used.  Something is screwy.

Help!  Please!  I'd like to continue to use UTM as I think it is a great product.  The licensing seems to leave a lot to be desired though (especially with how "connected" devices are nowadays).  I don't think I'm an unusual case with how many IP devices I have (yes, I am in IT, but still).

Jared

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • any kind of arp or traffic that hits the utm is going to get counted.  So something is broadcasting or something is't plugged in right or something.  The router trick works but if you have something like upnp turned on that's a broadcast technology that looks for gateways.  If you have upnp enabled devices stick them behind the router AND turn off upnp on the router.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• any kind of arp or traffic that hits the utm is going to get counted.  So something is broadcasting or something is't plugged in right or something.  The router trick works but if you have something like upnp turned on that's a broadcast technology that looks for gateways.  If you have upnp enabled devices stick them behind the router AND turn off upnp on the router.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children
No Data