This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM220 CPU upgrade

Hi All,

I noticed the UTM 220 rev. 5 is running an LGA775 socket CPU. (Celeron E1500 2.2GHz Dual Core).

Does anyone have experience that they can manually swap (ie upgrade) the CPU? At the end of the day its just a 1u rack mount server. Unless they are embedded chips, I don't see why not...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I think I remember hearing that same 625 story a coupla years ago.

Your story confirms that you have a solid relationship with people at Astaro - no surprize!

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • It will void the warranty.   I recently asked about putting in 4GB into the UTM 220 since it has the same amount of memory as the 120.

Main reason I asked is I put the 220 in about a week ago and it sits at about 70% although I don't necessarily trust that because I've seen it sit at 70% when the place is closed.

Looking at the sizing guide the customer isn't actually using FullGuard, but the subscription was bought because it was cheaper than by individual.  So all they are using is Wireless/Network/Web Filter.  I'd say at any given time there would be about 30 users connecting to the Internet.  Even when they give all the students iPads, not all of them will be on at once and it's only about 150-200 students, but maybe 20% would be on during class time and the rest are on the clinic floor working.

I'm hesistant on installing 3 more 220's and almost looking at just buying a entry level server from Lenovo (TS130) with a Xeon Quad Core and 4 GB of RAM.  That and an additional 2 port NIC with Same Day Warranty is under $1000.
  • It will void the warranty.   I recently asked about putting in 4GB into the UTM 220 since it has the same amount of memory as the 120.

Main reason I asked is I put the 220 in about a week ago and it sits at about 70% although I don't necessarily trust that because I've seen it sit at 70% when the place is closed.

Looking at the sizing guide the customer isn't actually using FullGuard, but the subscription was bought because it was cheaper than by individual.  So all they are using is Wireless/Network/Web Filter.  I'd say at any given time there would be about 30 users connecting to the Internet.  Even when they give all the students iPads, not all of them will be on at once and it's only about 150-200 students, but maybe 20% would be on during class time and the rest are on the clinic floor working.

I'm hesistant on installing 3 more 220's and almost looking at just buying a entry level server from Lenovo (TS130) with a Xeon Quad Core and 4 GB of RAM.  That and an additional 2 port NIC with Same Day Warranty is under $1000.
Children
No Data