This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM220 CPU upgrade

Hi All,

I noticed the UTM 220 rev. 5 is running an LGA775 socket CPU. (Celeron E1500 2.2GHz Dual Core).

Does anyone have experience that they can manually swap (ie upgrade) the CPU? At the end of the day its just a 1u rack mount server. Unless they are embedded chips, I don't see why not...

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi, CPUs don't need drivers, but it's possible that the installer tests the CPU ID to see if it matches a known list.
    They DO check the RAM, so they may check the CPU ID as well.

That said, you could always use the Software UTM installer, but you'd need a different license for it than the hardware appliance license.

Also, the BIOS would have to support the newer CPUs.

Barry
  • Hi Bob,

I wouldn't say never. I have an email from Astaro support authorizing me to replace a fan component in my ASG 120v3 with an equivalent part sourced locally. I was told by the rep however to keep a copy of the email and include it in the packaging if I ever had to return the unit for warranty work.

For RAM & CPU I'd agree they won't. Tho even that I seem to recall hearing in a thread once that support did authorize increasing the RAM of a unit. It sounded like an exceptional situation on a higher end unit (525/625) so I wouldn't call it routine by any stretch.
  • Hi Bob,

I wouldn't say never. I have an email from Astaro support authorizing me to replace a fan component in my ASG 120v3 with an equivalent part sourced locally. I was told by the rep however to keep a copy of the email and include it in the packaging if I ever had to return the unit for warranty work.

For RAM & CPU I'd agree they won't. Tho even that I seem to recall hearing in a thread once that support did authorize increasing the RAM of a unit. It sounded like an exceptional situation on a higher end unit (525/625) so I wouldn't call it routine by any stretch.
Children
No Data