This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LCD Display for UTM v9 Software Home Licence?

Hello,

i read that in earlier UTM versions there was lcd4linux included so it was possible to add a HD44780 compatible LCD display to a homebrew box.
However i cannot find lcd4linux on v9, does anybody know if it's still possible to add a LCD display to v9?

Cheers,
Olaf

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Today I took the adventure of compiling a 3.3.4 kernel on a Debian Squeeze. So here's another lcd4linux binary .. dynamically linked, compiled on a machine with 3.3.4 kernel and glibc 2.11.3 (same as on UTM 9). Source was the 11.0-SVN, only HD44780 driver included and some plugins left out to preserve space. 
    ./configure --with-drivers=HD44780 --with-plugins=apm,cpuinfo,diskstats,exec,file,fifo,i2c_sensors,loadavg,meminfo,netdev,netinfo,proc_stat,statfs,uname,uptime

Welcome message set in source to "***  Sophos  ***/***  UTM v9  ***". Filesize around 345kB. 
    The second file is stripped and has only 110kB .. that is about the same size that the Astaro build has.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO GUARANTEE OR MONEY BACK.

works with bars, icons, i2c_sensors and all the bells and whistles ...
    lcd4linux_new.zip
  • OK, so I made a little RPM to install this compiled lcd4linux (0.11-SVN), with a start script that doesn't check for /etc/asg and with start/kill links in rc3.d. It comes together with a sample lcd4linux.conf that is configured for a 16x2 HD44780 display.

Anyone willing to test and give feedback? [;)]

If you've already installed the lcd4linux-0.10.1-10.g30326a2.i686.rpm, backup your existing lcd4linux.conf and remove the package with 
    sudo rpm -e lcd4linux-0.10.1-10.g30326a2.i686.rpm

Install with 
    sudo rpm -ivh lcd4linux4sophos-0.11-SVN.01.i686.rpm

Oh, and by the way, if someone is interested in htop and nano, I've compiled them too and they work flawlessly.
    lcd4linux4sophos-0.11-SVN.01.i686.rpm
  • Hi, thanks.

I don't have an LCD on my firewall since I switched to mini-ITX, otherwise I'd try it.

I'll take htop & nano.

Feel like compiling tshark (from wireshark)? [:)]
    I've tried and failed several times to make a static compilation, but maybe you can compile it on your build system.

Thanks,
    Barry
  • Not sure about tshark, there seem to be lots of dependencies.
    For htop and nano, here you go [:)] Install with 
    tar -xjvf nanohtop.tar.bz2 -C /
     to preserve paths. Files will be stored in /usr/local/bin
    nanohtop.zip
  • Thanks!

FWIW, I usually install things like this to /usr/local/bin, but I know how to move the files.

Barry
  • Hi Barry, thanks .. Yes you're right, /usr/local/bin would be the better location for them. I changed the paths in the tarball above.
  • Hi,

sorry for reactivating this thread can someone compile me an lcd4linux with an MatrixOrbital driver for UTM 9.1 or tell me how to do this by myself. i tried it with a software asg 8.3 on Futro S500 but there was no way to install an new lcd4linux rpm because of the dependencies.

thanks
  • Hi, I don't have my LCD anymore... it's too big to fit in my mini-ITX system.

However, iirc, you just need to do a STATIC compilation of lcd4linux, and copy the binary and config files to the UTM.

Barry