This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

LCD Display for UTM v9 Software Home Licence?

Hello,

i read that in earlier UTM versions there was lcd4linux included so it was possible to add a HD44780 compatible LCD display to a homebrew box.
However i cannot find lcd4linux on v9, does anybody know if it's still possible to add a LCD display to v9?

Cheers,
Olaf

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Not for the faint-hearted, I compiled a current lcd4linux-0.10.1-RC2 with static linking, only including the HD44780 drivers, with all plugins.
    This one works so far for me .. if you want to use it .. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. It may corrupt your system! DO NOT USE ON PRODUCTIVE ENVIRONMENT!

I attached the binary, simply copy it to /sbin/lcd4linux, better backup the Astaro-one first, or copy the astaro one to lcd4linux.astaro and keep this as lcd4linux.selfcompile and make a symlink lcd4linux to which one you want to use .. you get the idea 

Beware that this one has a filesize of around 1MB while the Astaro one only has 100kB, so if memory usage matters, you better stuck with the Astaro one.

I WOULD RECOMMEND TO TAKE THE ONE FROM THE NEXT POST.
    lcd4linux_selfcompile.zip
  • Not for the faint-hearted, I compiled a current lcd4linux-0.10.1-RC2 with static linking, only including the HD44780 drivers, with all plugins.
    This one works so far for me .. if you want to use it .. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. It may corrupt your system! DO NOT USE ON PRODUCTIVE ENVIRONMENT!

I attached the binary, simply copy it to /sbin/lcd4linux, better backup the Astaro-one first, or copy the astaro one to lcd4linux.astaro and keep this as lcd4linux.selfcompile and make a symlink lcd4linux to which one you want to use .. you get the idea 

Beware that this one has a filesize of around 1MB while the Astaro one only has 100kB, so if memory usage matters, you better stuck with the Astaro one.

I WOULD RECOMMEND TO TAKE THE ONE FROM THE NEXT POST.
    lcd4linux_selfcompile.zip
Children
  • Today I took the adventure of compiling a 3.3.4 kernel on a Debian Squeeze. So here's another lcd4linux binary .. dynamically linked, compiled on a machine with 3.3.4 kernel and glibc 2.11.3 (same as on UTM 9). Source was the 11.0-SVN, only HD44780 driver included and some plugins left out to preserve space. 
    ./configure --with-drivers=HD44780 --with-plugins=apm,cpuinfo,diskstats,exec,file,fifo,i2c_sensors,loadavg,meminfo,netdev,netinfo,proc_stat,statfs,uname,uptime

Welcome message set in source to "***  Sophos  ***/***  UTM v9  ***". Filesize around 345kB. 
    The second file is stripped and has only 110kB .. that is about the same size that the Astaro build has.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO GUARANTEE OR MONEY BACK.

works with bars, icons, i2c_sensors and all the bells and whistles ...
    lcd4linux_new.zip
  • OK, so I made a little RPM to install this compiled lcd4linux (0.11-SVN), with a start script that doesn't check for /etc/asg and with start/kill links in rc3.d. It comes together with a sample lcd4linux.conf that is configured for a 16x2 HD44780 display.

Anyone willing to test and give feedback? [;)]

If you've already installed the lcd4linux-0.10.1-10.g30326a2.i686.rpm, backup your existing lcd4linux.conf and remove the package with 
    sudo rpm -e lcd4linux-0.10.1-10.g30326a2.i686.rpm

Install with 
    sudo rpm -ivh lcd4linux4sophos-0.11-SVN.01.i686.rpm

Oh, and by the way, if someone is interested in htop and nano, I've compiled them too and they work flawlessly.
    lcd4linux4sophos-0.11-SVN.01.i686.rpm