This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[8.202][SWAP] increasing

Hi,
my ASG is setup as follows:-
4gb ram
amd x2 cpu
3 NICs
320gb disk
Uptime over 10 days
Lots of functions enabled, IDS tuned to remove unused services

Memory usage 45%
Swap 2% and growing.

Ian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • try my vm.swappiness=0 trick.  On my 2 gig systems swap stops at less than .5 percent.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• try my vm.swappiness=0 trick.  On my 2 gig systems swap stops at less than .5 percent.

Guys, if you are that concerned about swapping, then do as william says. I use swappiness setting of 20 and never swap. Look at your cached memory; if your system has a lot of cached memory and is swapping, that is due to the way the kernel is tuned. It doesn't mean that it is out of ram.

My screenshots of memory usage with no swap attached below. I only have 2.5gb ram allocated on esxi. I don't have IPS enabled but with 4GB ram like you guys, there would be no swapping required with the kernel tuned differently.

Also, minor swapping is ok as Barry mentioned earlier and if the system is caching the ram you are fine for the most part.

Run echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness on console to temporarily set your swappiness to 10 to see if you like what you see. The setting is lost after a reboot, but can be made permanent by following one of many William's guides for memory control on this board somewhere.

This version has been fairly decent so far other than the proxy getting non responsive every once in a while for no apparent reason which hopefully would be fixed in the next release.

Regards
    Bill.
  • Hi Billlybob,
    the issue is not the use of swap that is a function of the application. The issue is what is causing this use of swap on a ASG with plenty of memory which didn't swap before?

I think I have found the cause, the ACC management software running on the ASG.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Hi Billlybob,
    the issue is not the use of swap that is a function of the application. The issue is what is causing this use of swap on a ASG with plenty of memory which didn't swap before?

I think I have found the cause, the ACC management software running on the ASG.

Ian

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

Children