This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro with ATT U-Verse

I am in the process of switching from DSL to U-Verse. I also requested a block of static IP addresses. Now, I understand that the modem used for U-Verse does not support bridged mode allowing me to do PPOE in Astaro.

What are my alternatives? Did somebody get this to work?

ATT is also talking about an RG (residential gateway). It sounds like that it is a modem/router combination device. Are there alternatives? Is there a 3rd party modem?

Technician will come to my home on Saturday. So, I would appreciate some quick feedback.

Thanks,
Jens

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • This leaves only two options to use this service. First option is to plug all static machines directly into the RG. This would prohibit me from using Astaro and I would have to rely on a questionable piece of hardware instead.

Can't use Full NAT?
  • But if the block of IPs is assigned to you, DHCP shouldn't be necessary

I've never seen a consumer grade service that handed out static IPs.

It's possible they're doing what our ISP up here (Telus) does on the Small Business packages. They give you two 'static' IP's but the IP's have to be assigned by Telus' DHCP servers. [8-)]

It's only once you bump up to the $300/month managed services that we get true static IP's. The DSL modem (a Cisco 8xx router) is the gateway of your assigned 8 block.
  • If you know what the IPs are supposed to be, then they should be static, and it shouldn't matter whether you use DHCP or not.

I have dealt with ISPs who used DHCP this way and had no problems with assigning the IPs manually without DHCP.

Conversely, some ISPs use 'long-lease dhcp', where you'll get an address via DHCP, and it will rarely or never change.
    However, that usually doesn't work out well as if you have multiple addresses they may be in different net blocks, and the IPs may change if your client device/MAC address changes.

I don't know how UVerse works, but if all the IPs are contiguous, I would try setting them statically.

Barry
  • jstraten, have you figured this out yet? Without looking in gateway, off top of my head you use dmzmode and foward traffic to astaro external ip with no firewall use except on astaro. I have same setup,except use 1 static with astaro. Oh and att tech support is not very helpful either. And with there static I had to get someone that knew what they was doing to open up port 80 and 25. Imagine that,you pay for static and still have to call for help.
  • This is what I have learned so far and this is what I am still having problems with. On the ATT U-Verse router/modem you have to use, there are four ports switch. I went into the ATT router and added my block of 5 IPAddress. I then connected 4 of the ports on Astaro to the Router and made sure I gave each astaro port a host name of ASG1-ASG4. Then on the ATT Router I was able to map the static address to the Astaro to each of the host names. Everything starts working for a short time. Then I come back later to find that the adapters have errors so I show connected with error in Astaro. I also have my internet going up and down like a yoyo so not sure if that is the problem yet or not but you would think because of the connection just being to the router that I would of not lost connection with the router. 

So you are able to get more then one static ipaddress mapped to the Astaro. Now if I can find out why the Eth lines are showing error.
  • Hi, you shouldn't put multiple Astaro interfaces on the same switch.

Try it with just one interface, but assign the extra addresses in Astaro as "Additional IP addresses" on that interface.

Barry
  • I ended up switching to Comcast Business and it works great for me.

Before I did I tried literally any solution listed on any forum. The only option I didn't try and which is supposed to work is to use an old Linksys router and replace the firmware with a custom firmware to do some IP forwarding. The router would sit between the modem and machine running Astaro. A search on Google should show you more about that.

I also had numerous discussions with tier 2 support and I think I met some pretty knowledgeable people there. In the end one guy admitted that the current solution is not suitable for business. According to him there will be a new modem or firmware towards end of 2011, but this isn't official or confirmed.

Any other solution did not run stable and turned out to be useless for a business environment or any web hosting (mail or web server).

Since I needed a solution right away I switched to Comcast Business. Quite frankly it is faster and easier to setup while having about the same pricing. Initially, I was very hesitating because my friends made some bad experience with Comcast, but it seems that Comcast Business is a world apart from normal Comcast. Obviously, this information might vary by region...

Hope this will help you saving some time.

Just to sum it up: Single IP should work with some fiddling. Multiple ones will only work stable by adding another device handling the IP addresses. The custom firmware for Linksys mentioned above has some special functionality for that. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I will try to find it again.

Good luck!
  • If anyone is still interested in getting a static IP U-Verse connection to work with the Astaro, reply to this thread and I'll post the whole grisly tale (and a way to make it work, screenshots too)... caveats:  Can only get one static IP per physical ASG interface to work (2-wire firmware limitation, AT&T "2nd Tier" support supposedly looking at it), configuration was for a Business U-Verse account, and this is with the 2Wire 3600HGV Gateway (should be similar to the 3800).

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• If anyone is still interested in getting a static IP U-Verse connection to work with the Astaro, reply to this thread and I'll post the whole grisly tale (and a way to make it work, screenshots too)... caveats:  Can only get one static IP per physical ASG interface to work (2-wire firmware limitation, AT&T "2nd Tier" support supposedly looking at it), configuration was for a Business U-Verse account, and this is with the 2Wire 3600HGV Gateway (should be similar to the 3800).

It would be great if you could post how to get U-verse to work with UTM/Astaro. I currently have a 5 static IP DSL Internet-Pro-S package with AT&T and it works flawlessly with Astaro and multiple services/servers behind Astaro (DNS, Web, VPN, RDP, Mail etc). I have had this setup and working for about 7-8 years. 

An AT&T sales Rep made two visits and got me to sign up for Uverse with a speed of up to 18Mbps down, up should be 1-3mbps going by posts in forums. The key selling point too was that DSL was shared infrastructure which is not dedicated unlike Uverse and that I would get to keep my existing IPs. 

I have been doing some research and I am quite concerned that going ahead with this switch next week could be a disaster in the making with no quick means of recovery. Any information on how to get Uverse to work with multiple static IPs would be most useful and inform me on the way forward. Thanks.