This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Astaro with ATT U-Verse

I am in the process of switching from DSL to U-Verse. I also requested a block of static IP addresses. Now, I understand that the modem used for U-Verse does not support bridged mode allowing me to do PPOE in Astaro.

What are my alternatives? Did somebody get this to work?

ATT is also talking about an RG (residential gateway). It sounds like that it is a modem/router combination device. Are there alternatives? Is there a 3rd party modem?

Technician will come to my home on Saturday. So, I would appreciate some quick feedback.

Thanks,
Jens

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • I figured it is time for a quick update.

No success so far. It seems to be possible to assign ONE static IP in ATT's RG to Astaro, but I haven't found a way to address multiple static IPs behind the Astaro. The main hurdle is that the RG contains a firewall that can only be switched off for visible DHCP addresses assigned by the RG.

This leaves only two options to use this service. First option is to plug all static machines directly into the RG. This would prohibit me from using Astaro and I would have to rely on a questionable piece of hardware instead.

The second option (I haven't tried it yet, but it seems feasible) seems to be to assign the RG as an external DHCP server in Astaro. This would once again allow me to assign a static IP in the RG. On the downside I wouldn't be able to use any local DNS because DNS is also not configurable in the RG.

In short the hardware offering for ATT U-Verse is a disaster and will only make sense if you have a very simplistic home environment (e.g. internet surfing).

I am still hopeful that I missed something, but this has been a big disappointment so far...

Cheers,
    Jens
  • This leaves only two options to use this service. First option is to plug all static machines directly into the RG. This would prohibit me from using Astaro and I would have to rely on a questionable piece of hardware instead.

Can't use Full NAT?
  • But if the block of IPs is assigned to you, DHCP shouldn't be necessary

I've never seen a consumer grade service that handed out static IPs.

It's possible they're doing what our ISP up here (Telus) does on the Small Business packages. They give you two 'static' IP's but the IP's have to be assigned by Telus' DHCP servers. [8-)]

It's only once you bump up to the $300/month managed services that we get true static IP's. The DSL modem (a Cisco 8xx router) is the gateway of your assigned 8 block.