This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ASG 7.502 on Toshiba Magnia SG30

I know, I know, this little box hasn't seen any love here in quite a few years, 3 since the last post about a SG20 as far as I saw in my searches.

That being said, it's still a perfect box for running ASG and replacing a standard router for a little more speed and control.  I actually have a couple of these servers and wanted to re-purpose them from their original Red-Hat installs.  For those not familiar with the box, it's a small headless server that was made for SOHO environments as a "all in one" box.  The headless part makes installing an OS on it challenging, and more so because I do not have the 8 pin serial cable for it's console access.

I took a look at shorewall on an Ubuntu 9.10 install and IPCop that was tailored for the SG series and wasn't super impressed with either.  Came across ASG and decided to take a deeper look into what was needed to get it working on my SG30.  Turns out, not much at all needs to be done...

The original install was done on a netbook using a USB to IDE adapter and a USB cd-rom, tried to keep it generic and simple so I wouldn't have any problems.  After I installed it, it took a little tweak in one file to make it boot & become accessible from the WebGUI:

/etc/modules.conf (Modified):

alias eth0 8139too
alias eth1 e100

This was added so that the shutdown command actually powers the box off completely;

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S10halt (Modified): (Lines besides those between double remarks are for finding location of addition)
fi

##Added for Toshiba SG LCD panel shutdown
echo -e "\033X"  > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "\033"  > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "8q"  > /dev/ttyS0
##End of add for Toshiba SG LCD
exec /sbin/halt -i -d -p -f >/dev/null 2>&1 &

# for more safety:
exit 1

Then to keep the LCD clean, I created the following files;

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_startup (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S00sglcd_startup)
echo -ne "\033X" > /dev/ttyS0

echo -n "   Booting...   " > /dev/ttyS0

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_booted (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99sglcd_booted)
sleep 20

echo -n "Astaro  Home Use" > /dev/ttyS0
echo -ne "\nSecurity Gateway" > /dev/ttyS0
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 5
sleep 20

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_shutdown (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S00sglcd_shutdown)

echo -ne "Shutting Down...\n" > /dev/ttyS0

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_restart (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S00sglcd_restart)

echo -n "  Restarting... " > /dev/ttyS0

The "booted" script has a few sleep commands and then sends the same info to the LCD panel a few times.  Reason for this in the booting process it looks like a program is probing the serial ports and it causes strings of junk to appear.  With the sleep commands, you will get some junk, but it will be gone in a few seconds.  Otherwise these are just for aesthetics only, this way I can at least visibly see when it's booting, restarting, or powering off.

One other thing I did do was modify the menu.lst file for startup so that the console will be redirected to the back serial port. (Just in case I do ever order up the cable or if others need it) Here's the changes I made to it:
# To enable serial console please uncomment the following two lines.

# You may also want to add a line like 'console=ttyS0,38400' to the
# 'kernel' lines below
serial --unit=1 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=0 serial

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7 (previous)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz.previous root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd.previous

title  Astaro Security Gateway V7 (rescue)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp nolapic noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
initrd /boot/initrd

To make sure I have an easy way to recover this system I made a disk image of it using dd.  The image is only 1.4GB and restores to the HDD quickly, also if others would like to load it on their SG30, it has minimal modifications to the original install and shouldn't cause a problem with updates and such. Also, the  In the future I'll probably be tweaking the LCD files and possibly adding some backup routines for mirroring the HDD.

I would be willing to share my HDD image with anyone here that would like it, but I won't post any links in here unless the moderators and such around here give me the green flag to do so.  The image itself is of the system IMMEDIATELY after the initial install and before the system has rebooted after that.  I basically found the files I needed to change, did another fresh install and modified the files I listed above to have a good baseline to work from. Basically as it would have been installed locally on the machine instead of a netbook, with as little modifications as possible to have a clean appearing machine.

So mods, is it a violation of any rules to share such an image?  Just want to make sure...

Also of note, the system is nice and responsive, and although I haven't loaded it yet and am still getting familiar with everything, I think it will be just fine for my 30MB cable connection.  Idle CPU is around 2-4% and uses 50-60% of memory after bootup, not too bad.  I did install the 7.503 and the 7.504 updates with no troubles, took less then 5 minutes to install and start the reboot for 7.504.  

Anyone else still using these things? [:$]

Ohhh, and this is my first post.. Be gentle... [:D]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I know, I know, this little box hasn't seen any love here in quite a few years, 3 since the last post about a SG20 as far as I saw in my searches.

That being said, it's still a perfect box for running ASG and replacing a standard router for a little more speed and control.  I actually have a couple of these servers and wanted to re-purpose them from their original Red-Hat installs.  For those not familiar with the box, it's a small headless server that was made for SOHO environments as a "all in one" box.  The headless part makes installing an OS on it challenging, and more so because I do not have the 8 pin serial cable for it's console access.

I took a look at shorewall on an Ubuntu 9.10 install and IPCop that was tailored for the SG series and wasn't super impressed with either.  Came across ASG and decided to take a deeper look into what was needed to get it working on my SG30.  Turns out, not much at all needs to be done...

The original install was done on a netbook using a USB to IDE adapter and a USB cd-rom, tried to keep it generic and simple so I wouldn't have any problems.  After I installed it, it took a little tweak in one file to make it boot & become accessible from the WebGUI:

alias eth0 8139too
    alias eth1 e100
    This was added so that the shutdown command actually powers the box off completely;

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S10halt (Modified): (Lines besides those between double remarks are for finding location of addition)
    fi

# for more safety:
    exit 1

/etc/rc.d/sglcd_startup (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S00sglcd_startup)
    /etc/rc.d/sglcd_booted (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99sglcd_booted)
    sleep 20
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 20
    /etc/rc.d/sglcd_shutdown (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S00sglcd_shutdown)
    /etc/rc.d/sglcd_restart (Added): (Symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S00sglcd_restart)
    The "booted" script has a few sleep commands and then sends the same info to the LCD panel a few times.  Reason for this in the booting process it looks like a program is probing the serial ports and it causes strings of junk to appear.  With the sleep commands, you will get some junk, but it will be gone in a few seconds.  Otherwise these are just for aesthetics only, this way I can at least visibly see when it's booting, restarting, or powering off.

One other thing I did do was modify the menu.lst file for startup so that the console will be redirected to the back serial port. (Just in case I do ever order up the cable or if others need it) Here's the changes I made to it:
    # 'kernel' lines below

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
    initrd /boot/initrd

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz.previous root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-label/root vga=normal video=ofonly nosmp nolapic noapic acpi=off splash=silent console=ttyS1,115200
    initrd /boot/initrd
    To make sure I have an easy way to recover this system I made a disk image of it using dd.  The image is only 1.4GB and restores to the HDD quickly, also if others would like to load it on their SG30, it has minimal modifications to the original install and shouldn't cause a problem with updates and such. Also, the  In the future I'll probably be tweaking the LCD files and possibly adding some backup routines for mirroring the HDD.

I would be willing to share my HDD image with anyone here that would like it, but I won't post any links in here unless the moderators and such around here give me the green flag to do so.  The image itself is of the system IMMEDIATELY after the initial install and before the system has rebooted after that.  I basically found the files I needed to change, did another fresh install and modified the files I listed above to have a good baseline to work from. Basically as it would have been installed locally on the machine instead of a netbook, with as little modifications as possible to have a clean appearing machine.

So mods, is it a violation of any rules to share such an image?  Just want to make sure...

Also of note, the system is nice and responsive, and although I haven't loaded it yet and am still getting familiar with everything, I think it will be just fine for my 30MB cable connection.  Idle CPU is around 2-4% and uses 50-60% of memory after bootup, not too bad.  I did install the 7.503 and the 7.504 updates with no troubles, took less then 5 minutes to install and start the reboot for 7.504.  

HOw exactly do you get this installed onto the magnia without being able to see what is going on?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I know, I know, this little box hasn't seen any love here in quite a few years, 3 since the last post about a SG20 as far as I saw in my searches.

alias eth0 8139too
    alias eth1 e100

fi

# for more safety:
    exit 1

sleep 20
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 5
    sleep 20

# 'kernel' lines below

root (hd0,0)
    initrd /boot/initrd

root (hd0,0)

root (hd0,0)
    initrd /boot/initrd

HOw exactly do you get this installed onto the magnia without being able to see what is going on?

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

Children
No Data