This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

2 port PCI supported card

I know there is an HCL located here http://portal.knowledgebase.net/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=126233&r=0.1117975.

The problem is a lot of helpful information is missing.  I'm trying to build a gateway box out of a mini-box.  It has 1 pci slot.  Is there any purchasable new NIC's that have 2 ports and don't cost as much as the entire case/cpu/memory? [:)]  I've only got $150 in the entire setup but I can't find a NIC card with 2 ports less than $175?  That seems crazy to me.

Thanks,

Shelby J Hill

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Drees linked a cheaper ($117) 4-port NIC at
    http://www.astaro.org/astaro-gateway-products/hardware-installation-up2date-licensing/18771-4-port-nics.html

Make sure it's on the V7 HCL before buying.

Someone else had linked another one, but I can't find it now.

Barry

This one looks pretty good it's actually overkill but I can't find it only the HCL for 7.  Of course it doesn't seem to have a brandname.
  • Logic Supply - Leaders in Mini-ITX & Small Form Factor Solutions

Is there anyway to find out if this card will work?? This price is GREAT for a 2 port.

Sorry if you got that before.  I copied the wrong link.
  • Do some Googling...
    see what Kernel Module (including version) supports the "National Semiconductor DP83816", and then see if that module is in Astaro (in /lib/modules).

Barry
  • I haven't bought a multi-port NIC in a while (these days I tend to go down the GigE NIC + VLAN route).

The 4-port NICs I have from Logic Supply have National Semiconductor DP83815 chips in them and they are working just fine on one of my v7 installs.  They use the natsemi network driver.

It looks like those chips have since been superseded by the DP83816 chip which also appear to be supported by the same natsemi driver in any half-way recent kernel.  At least since Linux kernel 2.6.16 was released in March 2006 (which is the kernel that Astaro v7 is based off of), there haven't been any changes I see that would indicate that the DP83816 wasn't supported.  Support for the DP83816 appears to have been added back in late 2002.

Summary: It should work, barring any unknown issues!
  • If you are looking for quality adapter may I recommend HP interfaces:

HP NC360T PCIe Dual Port

This can be purchased for 115 to 225 I believe.

I am running 2 of these in both ESXi hosts using the e1000 driver modules.
  • If you are looking for quality adapter may I recommend HP interfaces:

HP NC360T PCIe Dual Port

This can be purchased for 115 to 225 I believe.

That's a PCI-Express card, the OP asked for a PCI card.

The cheapest I could find that card was $160 using a quick Google search.  Not bad for a dual-GigE NIC.
  • The HP NICS are Intel or Broadcom chips, depending on the model.

It's not obvious on that page, but the NC7170 is PCI and PCI-X (not PCIe).

One should confirm the chips are on the HCL before buying.

FWIW, when I bought a quad-port NIC before, the HP appeared to be the same as the Intel, and the price was about the same. IIRC, HP was out of stock at the time so I just got an Intel quad from another vendor.

Barry