This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Kernel Panic Message Upon Install

I have an old machine (Celeron 587MHz with 64M memory) that I'm trying to install ASG on. All I've done to the machine is throw on three cheap NICs (it previously just had a modem). I know the memory is on the low end but I thought I would try and see what happens. The machine previously had Windows XP on it and it ran fine (but slow) and recognized all three NICs.

Anyway, I've tried all three install options but get the same message every time. After some uncompression progress it freezes at a message that says something about a Kernel Panic and not being able to sync something.

Any suggestions?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Mike,

Is there a way to get more memory temporary in the Machine?
    Which version are you trying to install, V7?
    What brand of motherboard are you using (hardware used/chipset??)
  • you REALLY need no less than 512 megs of ram.  256 will run..but doggedly slow.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Anyway, I've tried all three install options but get the same message every time. After some uncompression progress it freezes at a message that says something about a Kernel Panic and not being able to sync something.

Any suggestions?

This sounds like a ACPI Probem:
    try the kernel paramters:
    noapic nolapic acpi=off

and see if it does any better.... 
    (and of course the RAM update)

cu SveN
  • I can't remember to send you a message....

*scnr*
  • Thanks for all of your replies so far. Ok, I'm not much of a hardware guy so I've been researching some of the specs so I can answer all of your questions.

@SilverOne: Regarding temporarily upgrading my memory, I went to the store and purchased some generic memory. Unfortunately, I can't get the machine to accept it. It doesn't even beep and show the startup screen - just a blank screen. I have two slots and tried swapping them around but nothing worked. I ran a test on Crucial's web site and the memory I got was similar (256 MB SDRAM) but it just doesn't work... I was trying to install V7 of Astaro. According to the Crucial scan its an IBM NetVista Type 2276 motherboard. The processor is an Intel Celeron Model 8, step 3. running at 576 MHz.

@SveN: I've seen something about this ACPI elsewhere in the forums and looked through my BIOS configuration but didn't see anything labeled ACPI. That command that you mentioned, do I just boot off of the Astaro disk and then type that command in instead of hitting enter?

Thanks.
  • According to the Crucial scan its an IBM NetVista Type 2276 motherboard. The processor is an Intel Celeron Model 8, step 3. running at 576 MHz.

Hi ast_mike, 
    before you get in more trouble with this hardware,
    I would suggest: Buy new hardware, you will not have much
    with this machine....

cu SveN
  • Hi all. Just wanted to give an update. I had a friend who had a bunch of old RAM. After several tries one worked and I was able to get the memory up to 320M. After that, I ran into another error about the install not being able to partition properly. In the forums there was something about a 10G drive not being big enough (although the specs say that's all you need). Anyway, I purchased the smallest hard drive I could find - 120G - and tried the install again. And it worked just doing the default install!!!

I set everything up and was able to integrate it into my network. I have the ASG internal NIC going to one of the LAN ports of an wireless access point/router (so it acts as a dumb switch and doesn't do any NATing or firewalling). On the access point/router I also disabled DHCP as I had configured the ASG to provide this functionality instead. This configuration worked fine for a few days but then started acting funny. Wired machines attached directly to the access point/router had no problems; however, wireless machines were acting sporatic.

It is the oddest thing... A wireless machine could ping the access point/router but not the ASG. But as soon as a wired machine would connect (e.g., to access the Web), it seemed to "kick-start" something somewhere. After making this connection, wireless machines could access the ASG and get out to the Web too. Things would work fine until you were off the wireless machine for a long period of time. Then the same problem would occur again and I would have to do the "kick-start" procedure in order for wireless machines to get access.

I was thinking that it was still probably a memory problem so I turned everything off in the ASG except for one basic firewall rule. This seemed to help some. Wireless machines can access the ASG and Web with more reliability. But once again if you are off of a wireless machine for a while, you need to play with the wireless configuration some before it will work (e.g., repairing the connection, disabling/enabling the wifi card, rebooting the machine). Again, wired machines work fine all of the time.

My next step is to try to max my memory out at 512M. Beyond just getting some new hardware, are there any other thoughts?

Thanks.