This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrating UTM SW Appliance Active/Passive Cluster from Dell PowerEdge R310 to Proxmox-KVM

Hello folks,

we're currently still using very old Dell PowerEdge R310 nodes and Sophos UTM 9.7 (latest) as a SW Appliance in an Active/Passive Cluster.
Each node has 6 NICs whereas 2 use LACP for WAN and 2 more w. Active/Backung Bond on LAN and the other 2 are single interfaces used for HA.
All interfaces have Virtual-NIC enabled with a "Sophos" given Mac address (not the HW NIC MAC).

We'd like to migrate to either: Newer Hardware (like PE R430 or newer, and from 1G NICs to 10G NICs and of course a more powerful CPU, more RAM, faster Disk etc.)

Q1: What are our options to do such a migration?
Q2: I had the idea to move to UTM on Proxmox KVM instead. So buy new beefy hardware and put UTM as a KVM VM on top, using virtio for disk and NIC and having the CPU being either "host" (passed through) or General KVM, whatever is supported here.

Since we have an Active/Passive cluster, so my idea was to shutdown the passive node and bring it up with a backup ans a VM-based passive node again. So beforehand, having the new node "offline" and installing UTM using the backup, then checking wether the NIC setup is correct and in the right order. Then reattaching it, powering it up and hoping that it will see the master and bringing up HA again before trying a failover.

One thing that might be a problem is that our old cluster still uses 32bit PostgresDB whereas a fresh VM would probably directly use 64bit.

Can anyone tell me what our options are or if I have some missing things.

Thank you!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.