This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Update latest ISO with Up2date packages

If the latest software ISO available for download is 9.713, is there a way to update it to 9.714, using the Up2date files, before using the ISO to reinstall? I believe this is called slipstreaming when referring to Windows installation media.

The backup which I have to restore is v9.714 but the latest ISO is 9.713. Is it safe to restore a backup with a higher firmware version and then use offline Up2date files to update the unit to v9.714? I'm trying to do the reinstall, offline, on an identical PC so that I can just swap them to avoid downtime.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Install using the 9.713 media, Up2Date it, using the file you can download from SOPHOS (astaro.com) to the latest. There is currently no media for 9.714.  

(At least not yet)

Restoring backup - you can restore a backup from say, 9.713 to a 9.714 install, but you cannot restore a 9.714 to an earlier version.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Thank, Amodin!

I was trying to avoid going that route but it seems that's the only course of action unless there's an undocumented way to slipstream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sophos UTM 9.718-5 - Home User
    Virtual machine on Dell Optiplex 3070
    i3-9100 @ 3.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM

• Well if you are not having any issues with your existing installation, just apply the Up2Date file.  You don't have to wipe it out and start over. You can do it manually, or wait for the Up2Date server to push out your update to you.  Mine sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work and I just do it myself the manual way.Smiley

If starting over, then my first post is the quickest way. 

• Sometimes I get big CPU spikes after an Up2Date is applied. The only remedy that I know of is to reinstall. That always fixes the issue.

Here's a thread about it.

Also, I have two identical PC's. One is the currently running UTM with the CPU spikes. I'm trying to install and restore on the other PC, offline, so that I can just swap the boxes to avoid downtime.

• Yeah, if you are using the Core 2 Duo in your signature, you will most likely see things like this - that's an old one! At least it's a 64-bit architecture.

• This evening, I purchased a "like new" Dell Optiplex 3070 as an upgrade. Guess what... It appears to support only UEFI and legacy external devices. The 3070 will boot from the USB installation drive and I can install Sophos UTM on to the internal HDD but it will not boot from the HDD! Never seen this before. I thought all newer PC supported both UEFI and legacy (internal and external).

• UTM and XG both don't support UEFI unfortunately.  It still blows my mind why they do not. 

• Seems lots of prebuilts are castrated in unimaginable ways. This is one of them. If the option exists, return that asap as it will cause you more grief than happiness.

Should you decide to keep it, I suppose one way to install UTM would be to virtualize it.

Maybe there's some way of using a grub efi bootloader to bootstrap a mbr disk?  It's a long shot and not recommended as it will cause you future headaches.

It looks like the 3070 is a 9th gen intel offering. Im sure there's some kind of offering on ebay that's more standardized?

In 2021 I bit the bullet and redid my server - 5800x, 64gb ram, asus x570-e motherboard.  A bit (a lot) over kill, but peace of mind is peace of mind. Proxmox is the hypervisor. Board directly has separate iommu groups (vfio) for onboard sata and nics.  The former is passed onto a nas vm, one of the latter to UTM. Nas currently using 4 drives with option for 4 more without any additional hba. The system runs headless so I can add plenty of cards in the future as needed.  The caveat - it draws ~80 watts idle, 90 with the AP.

vm's

UTM
    freepbx
    truenas
    nextcloud
    homeassistant*
    windows*

* works in progress

• I already have two Dell R720XD's running vSphere. Kinda like to keep the UTM as a stand-alone (airgap) box.

Since I can't return that Dell 3070 and have no other use for it (kicks self in @ss), I wouldn't mind installing a virtualized version of Sophos onto it and testing it IF it's not too much of a headache.

• Is there much of a performance hit going the virtualization route?
    • What's most recommended -- KVM, VMWare, Proxmox, Hyper-V?
    • Have you come across any step-by-step guides?

Also, I just don't see any real-world performance difference when comparing my trusty old Optiplex XE's (Core2 Duo @ 3.3GHz ) with a Dell 7050 (i7-6700 @ 3.6GHz).

This is a typical day for the Core2 Duo:

• Another idea if you insist on running bare metal - pick up a dual or quad port intel nic. They come with low profile brackets too... Intel i340-t4. Can find them cheap on ebay, used.  I have a few here that I keep as spares.  Used to use 'em when I was running a different board with an incompatible nic.

***EDIT***  Disregard the above, got this thread mixed up with another.

Re performance hit, depends which features you have turned on.  Try it and report back.

Step by step guide - I'm sure there's something out there on youtube.

Here's my settings from proxmox.

• Another idea if you insist on running bare metal - pick up a dual or quad port intel nic. They come with low profile brackets too... Intel i340-t4. Can find them cheap on ebay, used.  I have a few here that I keep as spares.  Used to use 'em when I was running a different board with an incompatible nic.

***EDIT***  Disregard the above, got this thread mixed up with another.

Re performance hit, depends which features you have turned on.  Try it and report back.

Step by step guide - I'm sure there's something out there on youtube.

Here's my settings from proxmox.

Children
No Data