This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Home UTM Advice

Dear Sir/Madam,

Can you tell me if the Sophos UTM Home is do able setting up on a Dell Optiplex 3050.

It has 1 network card on board but are you able to add an additinal usb network dongle im trying to get the install to detect this but is only detecting the onboard network card.

If someone could please advise i would be very grateful.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • You need at least two ethernet ports for UTM to utilize filtering and appropriate setup.  USB if I remember right, can be used since (I think) version 9.1, but it was a very short list of what actually worked, and be warned - it will be a major bottleneck for your speed.

It might be better if you just bought a new NIC with two ports that can fit in your Dell box, and a lot less hassle.  Intel-based NICs are good, stay away from Realtek.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Thank you for the info i was trying to avoid having a big tower and thought might be able to utilise a micro micro PC Dell optiplex 3050. Im assuming u cant use the WiFi card and it has to be ethernet port.

• Thank you for the info i was trying to avoid having a big tower and thought might be able to utilise a micro micro PC Dell optiplex 3050. Im assuming u cant use the WiFi card and it has to be ethernet port.

• I had to look up that PC, I thought it was a bit bigger, but that really is micro.  ;)

I remember some posts asking about using WiFi as the second NIC - I honestly don't remember the answer to that.  I'll see if I can look it up before Bob or someone beats me to the answer.  :D

• Brilliant thank you would be ideal if this can be run on a micro as you know desktops can be too big for tight spaces lol

• Any other recommendations or suggestions would be very grateful as im keen to get this up and running asap if possible thanks

• If I remember right, only certain Atheros wifi cards will work.

• Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

Alan and Amodin gave you good advice.  If you only have a single Ethernet port, you could get a managed VLAN switch, but the combination of the two boxes might take up a little more space than a larger PC with more slots - plus requiring a more-complex setup.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thanks for all your help im just gonna have to look into an alternative desktop supporting 2 network cards

• If you want low power small boxes, try looking at Jetway products.  I used to run an Atom-based processor on a Jetway board years ago and it worked out really well until my upgrade to a 4-post rack mount system in my basement. Stuck out tongue

It is small and low power.  If your set up is just for you or two of you, it would work out well if your ISP speed is 'average'.  If you have a decent speed and need it for streaming, gaming, you will want something beefier to handle the IPS load and such anyways.