This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Home UTM - Recommend specs for 1000Mbps fibre

Trying to hear from others who are obtaining the full upload/downloads through Home UTM and what average speeds were you getting?

Finding a 2 Core (older PC) with Intel NICs even though connected at 1GbE, seem to be limited around 100Mbps up and down.

Are people needing 4 cores to really maximise throughput?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • One thing to keep in mind is supposedly the IPS is only able to utilize a single core of the CPU. The newer version of Snort (which is the IPS) can use multiple cores but Sophos choose to use the old version for some reason. Ideally you'd want a CPU with the fastest speed possible, even if it has less cores. You should be looking into a PC with an Intel i5 or Intel i3 cpu instead of the much older core 2 Duo if you can.

Just something to keep in mind. There are tons of refurbished desktop PCs that have this CPU. All you'd need to do then is purchase a dual port Gigabit Intel NIC to go with it. 

• One thing to keep in mind is supposedly the IPS is only able to utilize a single core of the CPU. The newer version of Snort (which is the IPS) can use multiple cores but Sophos choose to use the old version for some reason. Ideally you'd want a CPU with the fastest speed possible, even if it has less cores. You should be looking into a PC with an Intel i5 or Intel i3 cpu instead of the much older core 2 Duo if you can.

Just something to keep in mind. There are tons of refurbished desktop PCs that have this CPU. All you'd need to do then is purchase a dual port Gigabit Intel NIC to go with it. 

Children
No Data