This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems with RMA-replaced UTM in HA

Backstory: In our remote office, one of two SG310 appliances had broken down (probably for electrical reasons) and would not boot back into the HA cluster.

Thanks to Sophos support, we tried to boot teh firmware from a USB stick, which at least looked like a complete boot according to the LCD display, but we still did not get HA back: The dead node was previously deleted from the master and master was configured to auto-detect new devices, so the freshly installed node should have been detected and brought into HA. As this did not happen, we initiated a replacement through support.

Today, the replacement arrived, we hooked it up and waited - but again nothing happened. After some hours, we went through the display and made a factory reset - no change. Before bothering support once again, I'd like to know if someone here has expereinced someting like this. I feel like we somehow overlooked something totally stupid.

What we do observe (by flipping through the LCD display):

• Firmware version is 9.705, as is master
  • HA Config is set to "Not a HA device" and apparently this cannot be changed. Not sure if this is expected in this state and would change only after a successful sync.
  • eth0 seems to be set to 192.168.0.1/24 as expected for a new device. However, I cannot ping this address (from a Windows PC configued with an 192.168.0.x address - our standard LAN is in the 10.*.*.* range). It does not even do ARP resolution!
  • The LAN switch sees practically no traffic on the port connected to eth0. It did not even learn a MAC address for that port

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Have you gone through the initial configuration on the replacement UTM?  From past experience it won't start syncing until you get past the screen that asks for organization name, location, email etc.

• No. i think that's not necessary.

After a factory reset the device should listen on eth3 and start sync automatically.

... if firmware matches (maybe a little bit older ... but no newer than the running system)

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• No. i think that's not necessary.

After a factory reset the device should listen on eth3 and start sync automatically.

... if firmware matches (maybe a little bit older ... but no newer than the running system)

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

Children
No Data