This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems after change of hardware

Hello guys!

I have a big problem after changing the hardware my Sophos UTM was installed on, (Home license)  and I could use your help please.

I have been running a Home license UTM for many years now on a Dell machine running an i3-4130 CPU, 8GB Ram and a 100 GB 2.5" HDD

Everything was being smooth, CPU usage usually at 1%, Ram usage about 30%, no problem whatsoever

Recently I acquired a  decommissioned firewall appliance (more details on this later, if problems are solved I will post it in the Hardware section for compatible devices)

This appliance, as far as I understand, is quite similar to Sophos SG 125 (Intel Atom  c2358). It also has 4GB of Ram and a new 120GB Kingston msata SSD.

So, my Dell machine was installed a few years back and has been over these years upgraded to the latest UTM version (9.703-3 at the moment). For the new appliance, I downloaded the same version, performed a clean installation and booted it with a USB stick containing the latest backup. It came up with all the settings in place, no issues there. I also copied all logs from var/log to the new disk so that I have the logs (I know they are not really necessary but I wanted them just because)

The problem is that this new appliance is constantly running at 98% CPU. The below are operating on the UTM:

Model:   ASG Software

License ID:   ********

Subscriptions:   Base Functionality
Email Protection
Network Protection
Web Protection
Webserver Protection
Wireless Protection
Endpoint AntiVirus

Uptime:   0d 7h 10m

I expected that the Atom CPU is not a match to the i3, but I was expecting it to be around 20-30% utilization, not a 100%. So started searching a bit and for starters the problem I saw was 

utm postgres[14402]: [3-1] FATAL: database "reporting" does not exist

I started searching a bit, found about rebuilding the database but it did no good. After digging a bit more, I realized that, when a few years back, posgresql was changed to 64bit, I never converted it on my old UTM to 64bit and the backup file I restored was from a machine running the 32bit version (not sure if this is a problem, though). In any case I found instructions to create /var/log/reporting/pgsql92 and /var/storage/pgsql92 folders, changed permissions, restarted the postgresql service but I still have the above FATAL error

I even thought that I screwed up when I copied the old logs and had to change some permissions, so I performed a reset of the configuration and started again from scratch (using the backup file to restore configuration) with no logs at all. The problem is still there

I also disabled IPS and Web Filtering, but CPU usage stays the same (which is strange..)

The result of all this is that:

1. CPU is always at 98% (don't know if the usage will drop if/when this is fixed, hope it will). The little sunon 40mm fan is really annoying at this high usage. 
  2. I also got a few emails about RRD cache daemon not running - restarted
  3. Reporting is not working at all
  4. System messages log has grown to about 100MB in just 8-9 hours which is certainly not good (a lot of writes, also smart reports temperature of SSD at 50C)

Any help is greatly appreciated guys! Below is a snapshot of top in case it helps:

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Geiasou ChriZ,

Top shows sy over 40%.  Have you tried upgrading to 8GB?

If that doesn't resolve your problem, I'd be tempted to download a new ISO and burn it to DVD at 4x or slower and then using that to reload.  If you do that, please try to restore your backup from the Dell and let us know if it then worked.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Geiasou ChriZ,

Top shows sy over 40%.  Have you tried upgrading to 8GB?

If that doesn't resolve your problem, I'd be tempted to download a new ISO and burn it to DVD at 4x or slower and then using that to reload.  If you do that, please try to restore your backup from the Dell and let us know if it then worked.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data