This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SOPHOS UTM Home installation in home setup

Good Day All,

Hope you are all well and keeping safe...I have recently deployed Sophos UTM Home 9.7 in my home network to increase my firewall and security protection as I have a lot of smart home devices that control a large number of smart home devices such as voice assistants, lights, thermostats, home cinema etc...

I have BT Fibre broadband (UK) with the official BT HomeBub via phone line. This router is only providing internet connection and has the default 192.168.1.254 address. I also have Logitech Orbi Wifi Mesh Router/AP and 1 Satelite downstairs. The Orbi Router has an ethernet connection from the BT Homehub to the Internet port on the Orbi Router, this has 2 IP addresses which are 192.168.1.1 to the BT Homehub and 10.0.0.1 for the internal network (Provides DHCP, DNS and wifi)

I have now setup a VM Host with Sophos UTM 9.7 in VMware Workstation, the physical host has 2 1gb ethernet ports, so I have created the vm with 2 nics, 1 WAN, 1 LAN and assigned the internal address as static 10.0.0.200 which I can see from my internal network. I have a netgear 16 port gigabit switch that wired devices are connected to as as a cable uplinking to the BT hub as I have an xbox and BT set top box that use multicast so connected directly into the BT hub to allow open NAT.

My question is, what would be the advice on how to use UTM as the main gateway in and out of my network out to the BT Hub? I still want to use the Orbi for Wifi as I have a large house and dont have any drop outs with this in place, the BT wifi is disabled. 

Thanks in advance.

Mark

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Greetings Mark and welcome to the UTM Community!

I have a visual-tactile learning style, so I can't "see" your topology without a diagram.  Just a picture of a simple, hand-drawn one with IPs listed would be great.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA