This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

License options?

We have an SG330 active/passive cluster which is shortly due for license renewal. This particular cluster is not used for anything exotic and is purely activing as a firewall.

It does not have access to the internet and doesn't use vpn's, proxies and is purely a gateway from another providers private network.

What are our options? eg base license, network license?? Something less than the full gaurd we are currently using?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Sounds like you don't need a subscription.  Since it appears that your reseller isn't working well with you, you might just get a Premium Support subscription so that a replacement will be free if a unit fails.  That's only a little less than renewing for Network Protection and that would also provide replacement protection.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

what does network protection have?

It's probably our fault with regardss the licensing as we ended up segragating networks a little more and purchased another SG330 cluster with full license.

This particular one moved and as it's not public facing, we really just require it as a bog standard firewall although "network protection" might be something we're interested in depending on features/cost.

So, the SG330 can be run as a free firewall (hope it's not the home edition??) or with X options?

• A Sophos appliance without software is just a PC.  Imaging its disk drive with a UTM ISO includes installation of the free Essential Firewall license.

Imaging a PC with a UTM software ISO also incudes the same Essentials license.

There is no such thing as a "home edition" - only a free home-use license that allows 50 IPs and has some limitations so that everyone will know it's not a paid license.  Other than those cosmetic limitations, there's no difference from a 50-IP FullGuard license.

You could have moved the original license from the old 330s to the new one.  Restoring a backup without license and certificates would have left your old configuration in place along with the Essentials license.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • HI Bob,

the problem is, this particular firewall needs to run 24/7. It's probably one of the most critical parts of our structure so downtime is not an option if possible.

Now, it does have fullguard with premium support on it. But nothing else is activated, no AV, no IPS, no email, WAF, wireless etc

Just plain old firewall rules. It does have a year left to run so I'm wondering what the options are.

If we remove the license (not sure how to?), what will be the effects? What exactly will we be left with?

• If I were to do this, downtime would be less than a ping.  There's no point now unless your reseller can get you permission to sell your remaining subscription.

I still say your reseller let you down.  I would have switched the license to the new 330s and avoided selling an unneeded subscription.  I would have had you purchase a Premium Support subscription only for your "old" 330s.  That would have saved almost 80% of the cost of the Fullguard 24-7.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • If I were to do this, downtime would be less than a ping.  There's no point now unless your reseller can get you permission to sell your remaining subscription.

I still say your reseller let you down.  I would have switched the license to the new 330s and avoided selling an unneeded subscription.  I would have had you purchase a Premium Support subscription only for your "old" 330s.  That would have saved almost 80% of the cost of the Fullguard 24-7.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
No Data