This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DNS service: No currently assigned DNS forwarders - never ever

Running UTM 9.510-4 but this is not a new one. No matter what I enter into the forwarders field or even nothing or activate ISP forwarders, there are always no forwarders assigned. I found and followed the DNS best practice in the forum, but no change. AFAIK the root servers will be then used and they are usually slow.

Any ideas how to solve that?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi gsxfan,

It looks like you confusing DNS resolution issues.

Root Name server are on Windows DNS and will use those over DNS servers configured on your Ethernet interfaces within Windows.

on my UTM I have the following;

and the DNS group (is an Availability Group), is as follows

I use Cloudflare and Google as they are DNSSEC capable.

and on windows DNS server;

if you don't want to use root hints, then untick the box, and enter in the forwarder IP of the UTM.

Voila!

hope this helps you out.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Hi gsxfan,

It looks like you confusing DNS resolution issues.

Root Name server are on Windows DNS and will use those over DNS servers configured on your Ethernet interfaces within Windows.

on my UTM I have the following;

and the DNS group (is an Availability Group), is as follows

I use Cloudflare and Google as they are DNSSEC capable.

and on windows DNS server;

if you don't want to use root hints, then untick the box, and enter in the forwarder IP of the UTM.

Voila!

hope this helps you out.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

Children
No Data