This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 iinet FTTN VDSL2 connection failure

Hi, I've had my UTM 9.5 Home version running flawlessly on ADSL in bridge mode. Recently upgraded to the NBN here in Australia. The connection requires a VDSL2 modem which I have and is supplied by the ISP. Its a Techicolor TG789vac v2 and set to bridge mode. I have tried all the settings from searches from Google and this site. Nothing works, will not get an IP address. Error from live log states waiting for PADO packet. Connection timeout was less than expected 35 seconds?

I really enjoy this UTM and the features it offers, so would be grateful if someone could help, cheers.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, Jeffrey, and welcome to the UTM Community!

Have you connected to the modem directly with a PC/laptop to confirm that all is a go with the new modem and connection?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob, yes have connected successfully to the modem in router mode. When switched to bridged mode the nic on the utm is marked as down, no ip address. I have tried all sorts of settings on the nic as per ths forum and google searches.

Cheers Jeff

• Hi Jeff,

I might be missing something, but why are you running the modem and utm in bridge mode?

From memory the utm does not get an address assigned to it, but the devices on the inside do.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• Once the modem is in bridge mode the wan nic on the utm gets the ip assigned by the isp.

• Only if the UTM is in gateway mode. If the utm is in bridge mode it will not be assigned an address, that is why you need and admin port otherwise you cannot manage your device.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA

• The modem is in bridge mode, the utm is gateway mode. After ditching the Technicolor modem and setting up a Dray Tek vigor 130 in router mode and testing various settings I got and IP assignment using ethernet NOT PPOE? Have heard that iinet bind to a mac address as there in no username and password setup needed. So used virtual mac as per supplied modem from iinet. Then set Vigor 130 to bridge mode. Set WAN nic on utm 9 to ethernet NOT PPOE, happy days, all functions are up.

• Hi Jeffery,

i use iinet and never have an issue moving between the UTM and the XG boxes with a vigor 2710 in bridge mode.

I also swap out the modem for netgear dm111 while debugging the adsl service.

in bridge mode the the modem needs to be set to rfcxxxx.

XG115W - v20 GA - Home

XG on VM 8 - v20 GA