This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Security and Logs

Hi all,

After a turbulent few decades with Checkpoint, Cisco, Sonicwall and similar I thought I would checkout something else...

So here I am!  And it seems people are quite happy with Sophos UTM / Astaro - however, I would like to ask two basic questions; if they have been answered before please excuse me.

Firstly: Why would any forum in this day and age not allow (indeed: insist upon!) user registration and login (at the very least) to be via SSL. Especially, many would argue, one dedicated to security.

Secondly: What do people use for analysing logs; I can't seem to find something basic built into the product - does the manager have something ?  

Cheers[:S]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Zach,

re SSL: you could post a request in the 'About the Board' topic.

Logs: personally, I use the Reporting and Executive Reports features, but for realtime investigation, I use 'tail' and 'grep' on the shell (via SSH).

If you are looking for web activity analytics on the proxy logs specifically, there have been some discussions, e.g.
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/63/t/57569

Otherwise, please let us know what you are looking for.

SUM (Sophos UTM Manager) has less reporting than the UTM, afaict; it just seems to show some basic graphs.

There used to be a reporting tool, but it seems to be discontinued.

Also note that the UTM can copy the logs off to another system via RSysLog, or nightly via FTP, SMB/CIFS, ...

Barry
  • Hi Zach,

re SSL: you could post a request in the 'About the Board' topic.

Logs: personally, I use the Reporting and Executive Reports features, but for realtime investigation, I use 'tail' and 'grep' on the shell (via SSH).

If you are looking for web activity analytics on the proxy logs specifically, there have been some discussions, e.g.
    https://community.sophos.com/products/unified-threat-management/astaroorg/f/63/t/57569

Otherwise, please let us know what you are looking for.

SUM (Sophos UTM Manager) has less reporting than the UTM, afaict; it just seems to show some basic graphs.

There used to be a reporting tool, but it seems to be discontinued.

Also note that the UTM can copy the logs off to another system via RSysLog, or nightly via FTP, SMB/CIFS, ...

Barry
Children
No Data