This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SSH Shell Access no longer working

Not sure when it happened, so I can't tie it to a specific event, but I used to be able to use Putty with a key to ssh over my local network and get shell access.   Now Putty does not give any login prompt, it just times out.  Shell access is on with the correct internal network listed as allowed to access.   I can see on the packet filter log an "SSH Connection Attempt" message listed in a red background, which I am assuming means the SSH session request is being dropped.

The PC I am using has full outbound port access on the internal network.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • try to disable shell access through the webadmin, save that - reenable shell access 
    the settings should be like this:
    allowed networks: "Internal (Network)"
    "Allow password authentication" checked
    "Allow root login" -> "No root access" for best security
    SSH daemon port set to "22"

don't forget to "apply" each settings
    you can also try using telnet command like "telnet YOURASGIP 22" - this should also give a connection header back like "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.1" - you cannot login through this telnet session, but you're able to see if the connection comes up - if that works check your putty settings

if it doesn't work have a look at the log files, in your case "SSH daemon" - perhaps it tells you something

GrEEtz
  • I had tried turning shell access off and back on before, but retried just to make sure...no change.  Double checked all the settings.  The SSH server log only contained:

2011:02:10-14:46:47 ASG sshd[368]: Received SIGHUP; restarting.
    2011:02:10-14:46:47 ASG sshd[377]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
    2011:02:10-14:46:47 ASG sshd[377]: Server listening on :: port 22

Which I think is just me turning if off and back on.  Telneting to the ASG times out, and generates a "SSH Connection Attempt" in the packet filter live log.

I'm stumped....especially since it used to work.
  • Hi, make sure you're using SSHv2 in Putty.

Barry
  • Hi, make sure you're using SSHv2 in Putty.

Barry

Hello,

I think it runs also with SSHv1 in Putty.

Jörg
  • /etc/ssh/sshd_config only has protocol 2 enabled on Astaro 7.509

Barry
  • Putty was set to prefer SSH v2...I tried changing to force v2....same results...I'm really baffled.  It feels to me like one of those things that turns out to be something simple, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what.   Especially since it worked a few months ago.

Brad
  • Turning it off and on did not work for me, when I removed internal-network and added it again SSH then worked.