This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Energy Efficient Astaro Computer

Copied from elsewhere into this new thread...

Hi Eganders,
totally off thread subject, but anway here is some info that might help you.

I have an atom board running, different to Barry's.

Mine is a atom 330 (dual CPU) has the realtek onboard NIC and an intel NIC in the expansion slot. I turned off hyperthreading at the same time as I upgraded to 7.402, I note the CPU is loaded more with lots of little spikes than before.

My Atom has 3 fans, one on the display chipset and oneon the power supply a real little noise maker (only noticable in a very quiet room and I am slightly deaf) and th eother a case fan pumping air out.

Runs very cool except under extended load then starts pumping heat out.

Performance wise I have noting to complain about, the previous ASG was built around and AMD 2300 (45w) chip.

Load/configuration
4 PCs regulary connected
2-3 laptops occassionally via a wireless ap.
2 VoIP phnoes on individaul ATAs
1 Linux server on line occassionally while it is being configured
2 networked printers

HTTP/S proxy (I have fully implemented https on all users due to certificate errors)
ftp proxy
smtp proxy (outgoing only)
pop3 proxy and prefetch
user portal is enabled

dual anti-virus scanners
IDS/IPS configured
One user on packfilter and http proxy time managed access
Internet connection last time I checked was 5000/1000

I am about (later today) implement VLANs to split the VoIP traffic away from the users traffic.

Outstanding RFCat_vk.

Does the statement "Home Power User - Intel Atom 330 2gb laptop 120gb 2 NICs Intel Pro 1000 (82541PI) and realtek 8111 (about 20w or less)" mean you figure you're regularly running 20W or less, /w the 3 fans, etc?  That's the way to do it.

I'll have to start figuring out a config.  I'd love to have an ASG and some household computers that are running very low power.

Does, or do you let, this Astaro box go into any "power saving" modes, or to do the job does it need to be "on" all the time?

Did the case / power supply you used dictate the 3 fan decision as opposed to a large heatsink (s)?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Eganders,
    I owe this to Barryg, I saw an Atom MB in a local shop, but only after Barry's comments about power did I investigate it further.

The Atom motherboard comes with the CPU installed with 1 fan on the intel chip that has the display components. The Atom itself has a heatsink and the other chipset doesn't.

The case was the only one available at the time, it came with a case fan, quiet controlled by the mb, the powersupply fan about 1" in diameter runs flatout all the time. The powersupply on this micro itx case is about 1" square and runs the full width at the front of the case, stuck with it for the moment while I think through some better air flow logic.

I have my ASG on line 24 hrs a day powered through a UPS, the ADSL modem is also connected to the UPS. My family runs 20hrs out of 24. The power estimate is from the UPS management console, the power usage increases by 1% from 3 to 4 when the ASG in powered on.

I have built a number of PCs and linux boxes that run AMD processors that are very quiet even under heavy load. My main PC used for video and photography is an AMD 9950 with about 2tb of raided disk and alot of other attachments. Sits beside me very quietly, my son comes in and wants to know how I can get my machines to be so quiet and not generate much heat normally, his running a lesser quad core less fans and disk and it is very noisy.

Ian M
    I disabled hyperthreading because kacpid would run to over 100% of 1 cpu, 33% of total cpu capacity. The ASG would not pass traffic and stopped logging so there were no details to the cause. Hasn't happened since disabling hyperthreading.

XG115W - v20.0.2 MR-2 - Home

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• I plugged the IM-945GSE motherboard into an overkill 200w power supply, and it's maxing out at 28watts, mostly running at 24w. I'm guessing that will drop once an OS is running on it, and drop more with a smaller PS.

I'm measuring power draw with a Kill-a-watt, btw.

Turns out the board doesn't have PS2 ports, and I don't have a USB keyboard [:P].
    I'm going to the MySQL conf, so hopefully when I get back the Morex case will have arrived.

Anyone know when 7.202 is coming, and if there will be an ISO released?

Barry
  • Hi Barry,
    one day I will buy myself an attachment for my multimeter to measure power etc.
    Not sure what you mean by v7.202, v7.402 is out. I downloaded mine from the ftp site, so I am not sure if it has up2dated?

I suspect the power consumption of mine might have increased a little, the CPU is a lot busier, going from 1% av to about 3% av but peaking to 20%.

Your powersupply probably condumed more power than your mb did.

Have a great learning time at the conference.

I like this vlan stuff, I can change configurations on devices without stuffing up my PC config at least during the initial build.

Ian M

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

• Sorry, I meant 7.402.
    When I checked on Friday, there was no ISO, plus I haven't seen any full announcements here or at Astaro Up2Date Announcements

A multimeter will read high when measuring inductive loads (which include switching power supplies). 
    The Kill-a-Watt is only $20USD, but I don't know if they make a 220V model.

Barry
  • NOTE: Astaro DOES NOT WORK on this setup yet.

Progress report:
    I've recieved the Morex T3310 case, and installed:

MSI IM-945GSE-A
    512MB (for now) DDR2 RAM
    30GB Hitachi 2.5" pata drive 

Power:
    Power draw while in the BIOS is 14-15 watts.
    After booting the Astaro 7.401 CD, 13 watts.
    Memtest86+, 16-17 watts.
    RIP Linux 7.3 idle, 13 watts.

I'm extremely happy with these numbers!

The power brick which came with the case is a 100-240V input, 12VDC 60W output, made by SeaSonic (good PowerSupply manufacturer).
    Internally is a DC-ATX power supply of unknown origin, reportedly 80W.

The measured power factor at 13W is only 0.60, which isn't very good, but a better PS wouldn't make much difference as it'd only make a few dozen milliamps difference.

All power measurements are taken with my Kill-a-Watt (model P4400), at 119V from my UPS.

Heat:
    With the case standing vertically in the included base,
    CPU Temperature reported by the BIOS is leveling off at 66C/150F, and "Temperature Sensor #3" at 46C/114F.
    (Intel rates the CPU to 90C; so far so good.)
    Room temp is currently somewhere around 74F/23C.
    The case feels pretty warm at the top (where the DC/DC power supply is), but the side of the case by the motherboard heatsinks is not noticably warm at all.

MotherBoard:
    The motherboard has 2 SATA ports, but I don't have a laptop SATA drive. I may test with a desktop drive if I can find one laying around.

The motherboard has lots of serial and USB ports, but no PS2 (keyboard) port.

One serial port can be configured as a remote console, either for the BIOS & bootloader, or for the OS as well (assuming the OS can handle it).

The motherboard has a 'watchdog' timer which can reboot automatically if the system hangs at POST, etc.
    In my (limited) experience, basic watchdogs do not reboot if an OS crashes, though.

I've set the onboard video to only use 1MB of (shared) RAM, and I've disabled the soundcard.

Case:
    There are some pictures of a Morex T-3310 case assembly at
    cyfinity » Morex T3310 + Epia EX1000 + Mythbuntu
    although the picture of taking the top off is backwards compared to mine.

Astaro:
    As mentioned above, I am currently unable to run Astaro, as the Intel NICs are not detected (I expected this would happen, as they need a new driver).
    I am hoping an ISO of 7.402 will be released, which _may_ help.

If not, I'm thinking of trying to "Ghost" my old firewall (7.402) into the laptop drive; has anyone successfully done this with Astaro, with Ghost or any other tool?

Barry
  • Hi Barry,
    yours is looking very good. I disconnect the cd drive after installation, it is only required for builds using the ISO, helps reduce power and heat.

I thought my problem would be the incase power supply which does heat the case up, but turns out the chipset fan doesn't like running on its side and has become very noisy. I have laid the unit down which has reduced the fan noise considerably.
    Later this week I will be visiting the motheboard supplier to see how I can get the fan replaced without loosing my firewall for a couple of days.

If you can boot the ASG into 7.401, what is stopping you upgrading to the 7.402 up2date? You could build it in demo mode I think then run the patch into enable the second NIC.

Ian M

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

• Hi Barry,
    yours is looking very good. I disconnect the cd drive after installation, it is only required for builds using the ISO, helps reduce power and heat.

I thought my problem would be the incase power supply which does heat the case up, but turns out the chipset fan doesn't like running on its side and has become very noisy. I have laid the unit down which has reduced the fan noise considerably.
    Later this week I will be visiting the motheboard supplier to see how I can get the fan replaced without loosing my firewall for a couple of days.

If you can boot the ASG into 7.401, what is stopping you upgrading to the 7.402 up2date? You could build it in demo mode I think then run the patch into enable the second NIC.

Ian M

XG on VM 8 - v21 EAP

Children
  • CDROM is external USB, and it's not going through the Kill-a-Watt.

Booting the Astaro 7.401 CD works, until it gets to hardware detection phase, at which point it says no NICS were found, which is why I need a 7.402 ISO, for the new Intel driver.

Update:
    I ran some drive tests last night as the drive was out of a bad laptop; turns out it has too many bad sectors and after the test, the SMART status changed to BAD [:(]

Power consumption during the tests averaged 14.3 watts.

Barry
  • Hi,

just wanted to add my config, because i believe it could be of use for people who want to keep a small budget in line for a great firewall.

Case: AOpen M360 Mini-ITX Case - Black
    Power Supply: Built in the case, 80W DC, external 60W AC adapter
    Motherboard: Jetway J7F2WE-2G Mini-ITX Mainboard
    Daughterboard: 3 x 10/100/1000 LAN Module
    Memory: 1 GB DDR2 667 RAM
    HD: 2.5" 20GB IDE HD (reused from old laptop from work)
    DVD-drive: Slimline IDE DVDROM (reused from same laptop)

I chose that particular config as i wanted gigabit network connections, with a minimum of 3 (so i can set up a DMZ when i integrate my own mail server (for two persons :rolleyes[:)], one of my following projects [;)] )

It only consumes about 23 Watts (should recheck it now it's up & running since a week).

The TCO for the config was 310 USD + 78 USD shipping to Europe, knowing the euro is quite strong compared to the dollar, it's cheaper to get it shipped than to buy it here [:D]

When i have time, i'll post some data on the temperature.