This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Differents betw. 1:65535 & 1024:65535 @ Service D.

Hello!

Can anybody explain me the difference between 1:65535 and 1024:65535 at Service >> Service Definitions.

If I´m right, it meens a range. For example 1024:65535 means a range between the ports 1024 til 65535. Is it true?

Ciao, Thorsten

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hello!

Can anybody explain me the difference between 1:65535 and 1024:65535 at Service >> Service Definitions.

If I´m right, it meens a range. For example 1024:65535 means a range between the ports 1024 til 65535. Is it true?

Ciao, Thorsten 

[/ QUOTE ]
    The XXX:XXX denotes a range so yes.

1:65535 = ports 1 to 65535.
    1024:65535  = ports 1024 to 65535.
  • Hello!

Ok, thanx. But for example the  Service Definition for DNS. Source port is 1:65535 and destination port is 53. Port 53 is ok. But why the source port is not defined with only one Port (In this case like as port 53)?

Any in the case of FTP, the source port is 1024:65535 - but the destination port is 20 and 21. Here are the destination ports not in the range from the source ports.

I think, that I have a little misunderstanding [:S]

Ciao, Thorsten
  • To learn a little bit more about this topic I recommend reading all about 3-way-handshake for TCP connections. (like FTP, HTTP, SSH or Telnet)

A TCP connection is always initiated with the 3-way handshake, which establishes and negotiates the actual connection over which data will be sent. The whole session is begun with a SYN packet, then a SYN/ACK packet and finally an ACK packet to acknowledge the whole session establishment. At this point the connection is established and able to start sending data. You always need a source port (could be any from 1024 to 65535) and a destination port (like 20 or 21, 22 or 80). 

Get more information here:

http://foldoc.thexdershome.com/iptables/chunkyhtml/x836.html

http://www.ontolearn.de/ontomat/11/tcphandshake.html
  • Hello!

Thank you for your answer. But it was not about my question [:S]

I want to know, why the service definition the has at the source ports a range and not a static port.

Ciao, Thorsten
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hello!

I want to know, why the service definition the has at the source ports a range and not a static port.

Ciao, Thorsten 

[/ QUOTE ]Are you asking why a port range is used for source ports and not a single port?
    If so its because it provides more flexability.
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hello!

Ciao, Thorsten 

[/ QUOTE ]Are you asking why a port range is used for source ports and not a single port?
Children
  • [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hello!

Ciao, Thorsten 

[/ QUOTE ]

Every  "connection" is keyed by a quintuple
      (source_addr,source_port,destination_addr,destination_port,protocol_number)
    If there are two simultaneous connections originating from a client host to the same port of a server, there *must* be different source ports to distinguish between the connections.
  • Hello FN-Eagle,

no, no, my problem is not the misunderstanding of TCP/IP and why I need ports. This I know. My misunderstand or rather my question is (how 'Eraser' assumed), why there are the port ranges for the 'Source Ports'. For example:

- Service 'AUS' has the Source Port range 1:65535.
    - Service 'CITRIX' has the range 1024:65535.
    - Service 'NTP' has the static port 123.

Sometimes 1:65545, sometimes 1024:65535 and sometimes a static port. Why this???

Ciao, Thorsten
  • [ QUOTE ]
    Hello FN-Eagle,

no, no, my problem is not the misunderstanding of TCP/IP and why I need ports. This I know. My misunderstand or rather my question is (how 'Eraser' assumed), why there are the port ranges for the 'Source Ports'. For example:

- Service 'AUS' has the Source Port range 1:65535.
    - Service 'CITRIX' has the range 1024:65535.
    - Service 'NTP' has the static port 123.

Sometimes 1:65545, sometimes 1024:65535 and sometimes a static port. Why this???

Ciao, Thorsten 

[/ QUOTE ]

That has (implicitly) already been answered:
    In the case of NTP there is a 1:1 (or peer-to-peer) relation to the service supplier (only one instance on the client side) - so the client side can use a well-known port number.

The reason, why some service clients in the N:1 case only can use port numbers from 1024? Traditionally,  on UNIX/Linux the ports upto no 1023 are reserved for the SuperUser, so a non-superuser client process will not be able to use them - hence it is not necessary to open the packet filters for them.
  • Older server daemons (e.g. old versions of bind, ntp, ...) will make outgoing connections on a system port (1-1023).

Some newer daemons (e.g. new versions of bind) will make them on a user port (1024+)

User software (e.g. a web browser) will almost always use a user port.

Barry