This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Slow ipv4/ipv6 upload

I will preface by saying that I don't think this is a utm relate issue at all.

I have gigabit fiber from att. Fiber comes into the house, goes to a nokia G-010G-A media converter which provides ethernet output. In general, this output then goes into a gateway box provided by the ISP.  For fiber customers, the gateway authenticates itself to the network by way of 802.1x. More technical users have figured out how to bypass this gateway box using various means. One of which is to extract certain certs then do the authentication process using software (wpa_supplicant).  This is the configuration in use here.

Running the bypass above, about a week ago, I noticed slow uploads on ipv4. Slow as in 20-50 mbps or so where normally it would peg at 940mbps. Ipv4 downloads and ipv6 up/downloads were testing properly in the 900+ mbps range.

Reconnecting the gateway box yielded no change. L1 support said the gateway was broken and shipped out another one (actually a more updated model). I knew the gateway box had nothing to do with it but played along.

Two days ago the new gateway box arrives. There is no activation, it just gets hooked up. With this new box in path things got weirder.

Now ipv4 up/down and ipv6 down traffic was maxing out at 900+ mbps, ipv6 upload was now slow - same as ipv6 upload before.

The results were consistent, regardless which test site got used.

Part of the wpa_supplicant.conf configuration involves providing a mac address which should mirror that of the wan interface. Re-implementing the bypass using the new modem mac in both places, the results were the same. Ipv6 upload slow as molasses.

For giggles, I swapped the mac (wpa_supplicant.conf and wan interface) back to that of the old gateway.  Now ipv4 upload was slow, everything else fast.

Contacting att is rather useless given the technical nature of this issue. It will take pulling teeth to get to someone who understands the above and can actually do something.  It's been suggested to file an fcc complaint.

To me it seems like there's some kind of mac related qos on my account. Testing a neighbor's connection yielded proper speeds in either direction with either protocol (behind the att gateway box).

Purpose of the post here; anyone ever experience anything similar to this?  How did you resolve?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.