This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Determine OS (version) of VPN users

Hi,

our company policy prescripes an up to date OS for computers used in homeoffice. Now it's my job to check...

Neither terminalservers nor terminal-Licensing, nor anything on our UTM that i've checke give us this information.

Any idear in the community?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • That's not what UTM is used for.

You would need something like an inventory type program, WSUS (Automated Maintenance) or something similar.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Unfortunatelly no.

This devices are private, the users are installing the VPN software on there own, so we have no possiblity to force the installation of other tools.

I expected, that there's no technical way to do this via UTM/rdp.

• if they want to impose restrictions and compliance for remote users then they should facilitate hardware for those users in the way of laptops. ;)

• The vpn software has to be installed right?  Can't part of the installation script check to ensure OS and other version exceed a certain value? If not the installation fails.

What is defined by "up to date OS"?  Windows 10 or 11, or either OS with particular updates installed?

• On most devices, VPN software is alredy installed...
    That script sounds like a good idea for new installations.
    "up to date" = Win10 as long as the version is still supportet (or an up to date linux/mac, but few).
    If we can get the Win7 or older Win10 devices it will fine.

• You could also force an installation via Group Policy.  It's been a while since I've done that, but there might be some parameters you can define for the install and OS.

• I've seen this question asked/answered multiple times here over the last 17 years. This is not possible with the remote access servers offered by UTM.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA