This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Do Sophos "Frisbee" CEILING MOUNT ACCESS POINTS Work FACE UP as Well as Face Down? (AP 15C, 55C, 100C ...)

I posted a similar question in the Wireless forum over a week ago, but got no replies, so I am trying in the general area.

I am replacing my current access points with Sophos AP 100C models, to be run from the current UTM 9.7 software. The AP 100C is designed to be hung upside-down from the ceiling, with the Sophos logo facing down. I assume that a sideways wall mount is also acceptable, although it is not mentioned in the user manual.

I would be easiest for me to place the AP 100C access points on top of high cabinets, close to the ceiling. This means that the Sophos logo would be facing up, opposite from a normal ceiling mount. 

My questions are:

-> Will I get a good wide area signal from the AP 100C if it is positioned high, but facing up?

• Does anyone know the radiation pattern of the antennas in the AP 100C or has found documentation about it?
  • Has anybody tried laying it on its back on top of a cabinet or other furniture, facing up?
  • Did it work for you?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • They have radiation graphs for in the brochure (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/documentation/sophos-operating-instructions-apx-320-530-740-oina.pdf) for newer (APX320, etc) models and I would assume that the construction is basically the same. It's a little hard to figure out exactly what they indicate, but I assume the YZ axis view is what you want, and it looks like 5GHz might be troublesome upside down. In addition, sitting it on top of a cabinet would immediately degrade whatever signal goes "down"  through the cabinet. It would make a lot more sense to wall-mount in a relatively-unobstructed position, in my opinion.

I'm using an APX320 that's mounted on a hollow-core door with velcro -- long story, essentially wall-mounted -- and it's working well enough for me. (Including off the back/"top" side, but I'm only going maybe 40 feet.) But it has unobstructed line-of-sight to key devices (off of the front) and mostly wallboard between it and other devices. If your cabinets were wood or metal, I wouldn't count on laying it on top working very well at all.

It really depends on how far you want it to work. If it's WiFi for devices in a small study that will all within 10 feet, maybe almost any placement will work. If the cabinet is hardwood or steel, I wouldn't count on anything working well with it laid on top.

• They have radiation graphs for in the brochure (https://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/documentation/sophos-operating-instructions-apx-320-530-740-oina.pdf) for newer (APX320, etc) models and I would assume that the construction is basically the same. It's a little hard to figure out exactly what they indicate, but I assume the YZ axis view is what you want, and it looks like 5GHz might be troublesome upside down. In addition, sitting it on top of a cabinet would immediately degrade whatever signal goes "down"  through the cabinet. It would make a lot more sense to wall-mount in a relatively-unobstructed position, in my opinion.

I'm using an APX320 that's mounted on a hollow-core door with velcro -- long story, essentially wall-mounted -- and it's working well enough for me. (Including off the back/"top" side, but I'm only going maybe 40 feet.) But it has unobstructed line-of-sight to key devices (off of the front) and mostly wallboard between it and other devices. If your cabinets were wood or metal, I wouldn't count on laying it on top working very well at all.

It really depends on how far you want it to work. If it's WiFi for devices in a small study that will all within 10 feet, maybe almost any placement will work. If the cabinet is hardwood or steel, I wouldn't count on anything working well with it laid on top.

Children
  • Interesting, Wayne.  I've not learned how to interpret those graphs, but your take on them makes sense to me.  Thought I'd run a test at home...

I have an old AP 10 upstairs in our guest room beside the quiet PC that runs UTM.  It sits upside down on top of an empty dresser.  My home is a two-story house built in 1937, so construction is all wood - no concrete between the floors and all hardwood floors.  Downstairs underneath the AP has a great signal. My spot is an easy chair 40 feet away from the AP.  Through two interior walls (wood & plaster) and the upstairs floor, I get an adequate signal for my usage:

down/up
         Service to home:  250/10
         Beside the AP:     38.7/5.9
         Underneath AP:   38.4/4.7
         My easy chair:      8.5/1.9

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA