This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM DHCP and Starlink

Has anyone used UTM with Starlink?  I have my v2 (rectangular) setup installed with an Ethernet adapter and it worked with WiFi.  And if I put it in bypass mode to shut off the Starlink router it works when I plug in my laptop.  I get an address in 129.222.216.0/21 via DHCP.  But when I connect to my UTM I don't get an address.  In the log I see...

2022:03:24-20:03:25 charon-1 dhclient: send_packet: Network is down
   2022:03:24-20:03:25 charon-1 dhclient: dhclient.c:2485: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over eth2 interface. 
I have link lights and the interface appears to be physically up.  Any suggestions?
As a note, I am running UTM as a VM under ESXi.  I do have a cable modem working with this configuration on another interface (just a modem; not a router, so it's similar to what Starlink is in bypass).  

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • What happens if you connect Starlink like you want it, then reboot the UTM?

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Rebooting didn't change anything.  I played around for a while and then decided to just create a UTM VM on another server.  And that worked immediately with no issues.  That instance of UTM was standalone, but it could check for updates, get time from NTP, etc. 

So, I went back and started looking for a VMware issue on the original server.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Eventually just said what the heck and deleted the Starlink interface in UTM and recreated it.  And then for no apparent reason it just worked like I had expected it to in the first place.  Set up uplink balancing and monitoring (you need to specify hosts; automatic monitoring doesn't work) and both work as expected.  Then a static interface route to 192.168.100.1 and I can get to the Dishy management page (I have the router in bypass mode).   

So, not sure what was wrong with the original interface setup, but once I got past that it was really almost trivial to get it working.  

• Rebooting didn't change anything.  I played around for a while and then decided to just create a UTM VM on another server.  And that worked immediately with no issues.  That instance of UTM was standalone, but it could check for updates, get time from NTP, etc. 

So, I went back and started looking for a VMware issue on the original server.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  Eventually just said what the heck and deleted the Starlink interface in UTM and recreated it.  And then for no apparent reason it just worked like I had expected it to in the first place.  Set up uplink balancing and monitoring (you need to specify hosts; automatic monitoring doesn't work) and both work as expected.  Then a static interface route to 192.168.100.1 and I can get to the Dishy management page (I have the router in bypass mode).   

So, not sure what was wrong with the original interface setup, but once I got past that it was really almost trivial to get it working.  

Children
No Data