This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need some help better understanding slow downloads

First off - I have a 50/3 connection.  My internal network consists of two core switches, connected to each other on an aggregate fiber link through MiniGBIC (10GB).  Switch ports are Auto negotiated but showing for my UTM connection the 1GB connection.

My system goes Modem -> UTM -> Switch1 ->Switch2 -> clients.  Switch1 consists of my core devices such as NAS, Server, APs, etc.

Today, I have one client connected downloading.  This is what my dashboard looks like currently:

So, as you can see, my speeds with everything off is sucking... let's call it goat ass.  

An ifconfig on Eth1 and Eth2 both show 0 issues.  I've changed MTU to 1350, no change.  I've changed to 1000/Full - no change.  I've turned off everything I possibly can - no change.  Even after turning off all the features, I rebooted (and apparently I had to in order to get the passwords for SSH to stick) - no change to my download speeds.  All ethernet ports are Intel chips, 82571EB.

The client is downloading a game from Steam - at ~10% of our internet speed.  This has been an issue for a long time, and it is not localized to just Steam, but any download, be it a file(s) from just about anywhere.  What is it that is bogging down any good connectivity with UTM?  I am pretty patient, but my patience has finally run very thin with this application and this subpar setup.  I am thinking about changing the CPU on my UTM to a Xeon, but the best I can do is 4-core E1200-v3/v4 CPUs. (Current CPU is an i3-4150 - not great, but with everything turned off, is that really the issue?)  CPU % used has always been null.

Is there something I am missing?  What else can we look at?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Amodin,
    your screenshot shows 57,1 MBit inbound traffic
    ... what do you expect from a 50 Mbit line?
    (or what do you mean by 50/3 connection )

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Hi Dirk,

No I understand that but you speaking of the inbound traffic before it gets processed through the UTM with all the features turned off. What gets delivered to the client is much, much slower, hence why I also described my internal network.  I believe with GB core switches with the MiniGBIC backbone between them and CAT5E/CAT6 cabling with no more than a 20 yard run to clients wouldn't be the bottleneck.

Is it processor issue on the UTM?  Configuration problem I don't see?  I should also mention it doesn't seem to matter what speed my ISP gives, as I've had double the speed and delivery was the same.  I can remove the UTM and gain what  losing.  Not what I want but I need to figure out something.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• I think UTM isn't the problem. The screenshot shows 50 MBit send to the internal network ...
    Possible the packets are lost at the way ... which amount of data/speed you see at the client? (use TaskManager .. not the monitor at the game-downloader)
    I would try to upload/download a file directly to UTM using SCP.
    Which speed do you see here. If there are large differences between uploads and downloads, it could be a duplex mismatch within the network.
    Do you configure some/all connections with fixed speed?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner

• I think UTM isn't the problem. The screenshot shows 50 MBit send to the internal network ...
    Possible the packets are lost at the way ... which amount of data/speed you see at the client? (use TaskManager .. not the monitor at the game-downloader)
    I would try to upload/download a file directly to UTM using SCP.
    Which speed do you see here. If there are large differences between uploads and downloads, it could be a duplex mismatch within the network.
    Do you configure some/all connections with fixed speed?

Dirk

Children
  • I'll be looking through my network to see if there are any duplex issues, but everything I know of is set to "Auto".  Everything we have been downloading (not just Steam) is showing 7-7.5MB.  I can literally bypass the UTM completely and achieve ISP advertised speed, which is why I still believe there is something slowing it down in UTM, even with everything turned off.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Download is slow with Proxy disabled too ... corectly?

please try upload / download test directly to the UTM anyway

Dirk