This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Copy or migrate local user from one UTM to another

Hello folks,

for migration purposes i have to copy some local users from one UTM to another with their password included. 

My problem is, that i do not have the passwords for this in production used users and i can not change the password without major impacts to the systems which are using this user to authenticate.

So the gui is not a option to create a new user with the same name on the new firewall, because i do not have the user password.

I think this task could be done with the confd.plx (cc). With confd i can export the user data with the md4 password hash, so it would be enough to set the md4 hash for the user on the new firewall with the md4 hash on the new firewall.

Is anyone out there, who can tell me more about this?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo,

You can get the information you want by grepping on cc get_objects aaa user or cc get_user_by_name 'Bruno'|grep hash.  Then, using cc on the new machine, modify the user object's hash entry.  With that done, the users should be able to login to the User Portal on the new UTM and download any needed certificates or remote access credentials.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Balfson,

thank you for your quick answer to this topic. I figured out the same way as you suggested. ;)