This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VLAN SETUP for ESXI HOMELAB

Hi,

I'm having problem in getting IP for ESXI HOMELAB Server through VLAN tagging, when I assigned in ESXI NETWORK PORT.

Below is network diagram of my setup.

ROUTER - TPLINK WIFI ROUTER - Mobiles, Laptops, Firestick are connected on it.

SWITCH - TPLINK Desktop Switch 8 PORT & 5 PORT

Switch is connecting to Raspberry PIs running Plex, Print Server, Adguard, NAS.

I have setup my LAN with DHCP IP (192.168.1.1/24) series for my home systems connecting to all Laptop, mobile phones, camera.

I have a desktop which is running VMWARE ESXI 6.5, and has multiple VM installed on it.

I have setup VLAN on LAN Port with ID 10 (192.168.10.1/24) with DHCP.

I have connected my ESXI 6.5 and setup it's switch for VM Host and added the VLAN tag as 10 through Management interface.

But none of the VM is getting IP from VLAN not LAN DHCP.

When I remove VLAN tag in vmware, VM get ip but from LAN DHCP series (192.168.1.1/24)

I wanted ESXI VM to get VLAN IPs, I followed the VLAN setup and Lan setup of SOPHOS and configured it.

I took TCPDUMP of VMWARE ESXI and also System running SOPHOS. and on packet information I see VLAN TAG are defined.

MY SOPHOS is running on ESXI 7 on different BOX, with Physical NIC and USB NIC, setup for dual nic to Sophos VM.

I created a VM of Ubuntu server on ESXI 7 which is running SOPHOS. I have created a PORT SWITCH on ESXI7 and tagged it 10. and is connected on USBNIC of ESXI7.

Ubuntu server also do not get IP, when I remove VLAN Tag in esxi7 in vmware interface, it get IP of 192.168.1.1/24 series.

So Please help me what I'm doing wrong or what configuration i need to change in ESXI7(running SOPHOS) so that VLAN of SOPHOS can be reachable.

I tried another concept, and created new virtual nic in esxi7 and vlan tag it 10, then I added the nic to Sophos vm as third eth, and I then set is static IP as 192.168.10.1, and then I created VLAN 192.168.10.2, and setup DHCP for 192.168.10.100-200 on VLAN, not on 3rd PORT, still no ip release to system.

Please suggest what further setting I have to setup.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Using VLAN tags without a matching/correct VLAN configuration on all the switches is not a good idea.

Some (very old) switches are so stupid that they let everything passing(including VLAN tags). But most of them don't.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.