This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My Sophos can't ping a VM that is in a LAN (directly connected to my Sophos)

Hello everybody,

I have some issues trying to access to a VM from my Sophos UTM.

Previously, this VM had an IP address associated to his Mac Address, now, this IP address has been changed but the Mac Address is the same.

When I run this command: 

> ip neighbour | 192.168.25.25

I get this output:

>>192.168.25.25 dev eth3 lladr 00:69:77:98:34:23 STALE

I don't understand why I get "STALE" instead of "REACHABLE"

Best regards,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hi ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community! 

The status "STALE" means the entry in the neighbor cash hasn’t been verified as reachable within a certain amount of time. 

When you try to ping the VM from the UTM, try to run tcpdump on the VM IP address and share the output with us. 

Thanks,

• Hello Harsh,

Thank you for your reply, yes I think that the problem comes from the VM but I wanted to make sure if it was something to troubleshoot from my UTM.

I can't access to the VM because, first of all, this VM is accessed just by our customer, and second of all, the OS installed in the VM is Windows, so it's a little bit complicated to troubleshoot from the VM. I thought on clearing the cache entry on my Sophos UTM with this command: "arp - d 192.168.25.25". 

I thought also in asking our customer to try creating another network card in the VM and associating it to the IP address, so we can have the same IP associated to another Mac address that wasn't associated to any IP address in the past.

Do you have any further ideas to troubleshoot this issue?

Best regards,

• Hello again,

To clarify my issue:

The machine is connected to The LAN 192.168.25.0/24. This LAN is between my Sophos UTM and an MPLS Routeur. My client is able to connect to the VM from the MPLS Routeur (telnet 192.168.25.25) but when trying to access from The Sophos UTM, the access is no granted. I can't understand, why is he able to connect to the same interface from the MPLS Routeur and is not possible for me from the Sophos UTM, that makes me think that maybe the issue is not with the VM.

Could you help me please?

Best regards